1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Lot to Process

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Femminist, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Femminist

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi! So this is kind of my first post... I really like this site even though I just kind of discovered it lol. Anyways, here's my story: I kind of realized this year that I'm a lesbian and it's been really hard to accept that. I had this idea that I'm straight and going to end up with a guy, but every time I kissed a guy, I hated it and wondered what was the big appeal. Then I met this girl. She was so pretty and nice and we hit it off. Finally we kissed and it was like fireworks. Like I just learned what attraction was. I eventually broke up with her and it broke my heart. I felt and still feel guilty for lying to my parents about I was going to meet up with her and for them not really knowing who I am. I told my brother the other day (he's 16 I'm older) and he seemed cool. I didn't want him telling my parents. Now he calls me "dyke" and "lesbian" and I can't say anything to my parents without them knowing. It hurts and I honestly hate seeing him because I know he's going to say something awful to me. Not to mention my homophobic extended family. It's awful. At least I can go here and be myself. What should I do about telling my parents/brother? :icon_sad:

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How old are you?

I'm sorry your brother is hateful. That's never a good sign, but if your family is homophobic, he is probably just parroting their opinions. It doesn't make it right, but you can't wait for him and others to accept you to live your life. The main thing is to first build a base of support from friends and hopefully more obviously supportive family (maybe cousins or aunts/uncles you know are more liberal/tolerant about LGBT topics). I say this because it's really a huge emotional burden to deal with unaccepting parents alone.