1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Close Minded Friends??

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by MrSkittles, Jun 3, 2015.

1. MrSkittles

Ok here's the situation:

Me and my Friends were having this conversation about gay relationships. One of my friends said something along the lines of: "In a relationship there should be a Boyfriend and a Girlfriend" They said a relationship should be Boyfriend and Girlfriend not Boyfriends or Girlfriends. I wasn't sure if they were close minded about relationships or something else.

I don't get why they think that way. :confused:

2. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just roll your eyes and ignore them.

3. Broods

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember growing up kids could be pretty ignorant or offensive without ever meaning to be. It can come from a lack of world experience, or being raised in a household with certain beliefs. A lot of my friends growing up were quite conservative, and growing up in the 90s meant a lot of people saying "that's so Gay" as a derogatory term. I've found in recent years that many of my friends have been able to be more thoughtful about their choice of words since knowing that I am a Lesbian. Sometimes all it takes is people knowing someone close to them who identifies as LGBTQ+ to realize that they need to be more understanding and inclusive. If you're interested in helping them through their close mindedness you can try talking to them about how every relationship is different and shouldn't be defined by gender roles but love and commitment.

4. MrSkittles

I've tried talking to them but they keep saying the same things. I am just going give it time and maybe they will come around and understand

5. lovecraft

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe they will and maybe they won't, unfortunately. It's best just to remember that people will always be ignorant, friend or not. Just ignore them when you can!

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This honestly just sounds like the run of the mill heteronormativity that goes on in schools. Unless you truly think they're being homophobic, I'd suggest to them that not everyone is heterosexual, and that saying every relationship is boyfriend and girlfriend is erasing the LGBTQ community.