1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just feeling a bit upset...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by loveislove01, Jun 8, 2015.

1. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have an aunt who lives in Canada, and she's awesome. She is really artistic and offered to teach me how to design clothes and stitch them, something I've been interested in. She told me this in a phone call last night, and I was so happy! My parents finally let me call her after two years of ceased communication. I talked to her, and it was great. She invited our family over for a week in the summer, most expenses paid, and they said no.
    My aunt is lesbian, and been married to her wife for almost two years now, after getting out of an abusive relationship with her husband. She has a few adopted children, and they're all adorable. But my parents said no, and they wouldn't tell me why.
    Later on, pretending to be oblivious (because I have to or they'd suspect something), I asked, and they said she was stupid and confused for marrying a girl and didn't want us to "be influenced by her lifestyle" because it was wrong and terrible. I cried myself to sleep last night, because I really wanted to see her. My parents told me not to tell anything to my sister, because "If she knows about this, she might think that lifestyle is acceptable, but it is very bad"
    I'm really hurt by this...
    Just had to rant...

2. Sek

Sek

I'm sorry you heard that from your parents. (*hug*)

The fact that communication has been restored is something positive to hang on to. It's clear that they still love her. Honestly, being gay isn't typically what parents want for their children, but that's not always for homophobic reasons. They realise that it might make their children's lives more difficult and place limits on them. I know that's how my mother sees it -- when I told her a few years ago about my lesbian friend coming out to her parents and them not taking it well, that's what she told me.

Hang on in there, loveislove01. It's sad that you can't have a relationship with your aunt right now but there is hope in the future. :slight_smile:

3. kloulou

kloulou Guest

This is really sad...*virtual hugs*
    It's hard to accept that some people will never agree with gays but it's just a fact as much as it is that there are nice and horrible people in this world.
    It must be even more upsetting to hear that from your parents, people you care about, to shun their sexuality when you are pan yourself!
    My mum would often say similar things without knowing my sexuality, and it does hurt. But sadly there is nothing you can do about it at the moment. All you can do is remain strong till you're old enough to make your own decisions and your parents can't say anything about it! Orrrrr you may find in a few years when even more hormones kick in you'll have enough of it and just do whatever you want haha.
    But try not to get too upset about it. You always have the EC community and as for your aunt, that may just have to wait a little longer...I hope you are allowed to speak to her soon though!
    It also may be a good idea to talk to your parents about sexuality, perhaps try to convince them that it's not so bad and being lesbian does NOT make your aunt a bad person! Good luck ^-^