1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To parents?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by PhoenixOfAshes, Jun 9, 2015.

1. PhoenixOfAshes

Hia! This is just a personal opinion, so feel free to comment critically or otherwise.
    Okay, so I understand that it's a way of showing you accept and support your child, that you always have and always will, but I personally really dislike it when parents say they've always known. For kids who have known since they were five, and even they had no doubt about their sexuality or gender, then it's really no big deal. For some kids though, figuring out their sexuality or gender can be a very long and complicated journey. Figuring out their sexuality or gender isn't just figuring out their sexuality or gender, for a lot of people I've discovered (by asking questions) that it's like finding a piece of themselves.
    I feel like by saying "We've always known" or "We've known since you were five" can really obstruct their journey with thoughts like "How could you know, and I didn't?"

I want to make it clear that I am not speaking for everyone. In no way am I trying to do that. But from my personal experience witnessing my friends come out, and even coming out myself, it can really confuse and hurt your kid when you say you've always known.

I'm just a teen, so I'm also not trying to give parenting advice. But from someone who was on the receiving end of those phrases, I want to be able to say that sometimes it might be best to look for something else to say as a response if they come out to you.

Anyway, that was my mini rant. I hope no one takes offence to this, I just wanted to put it out there that even though it might seem a kind and supportive thing to say with all the right intentions behind it, that's not always the case. So yeah...! :icon_bigg