1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I push it?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Cryolite, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Cryolite

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello friends. I've been going out with my girlfriend for half a year, and we usually make out at my place when no one is around or when my sister is upstairs. Yesterday, she caught us right at the middle. I'm not out of the closet with my family but my mum and sister suspect enough and i know first hand they aren't homophobic, it's just me not wanting to make it official yet.

The thing is, my girlfriend freaked out a lot, and I even when I told her it was just a slip, she said it was because "her family was very closed minded". This alone says a lot, but then I realized she has never told me her out status, or even cleared out her sexuality (heteroflexible? lesbian? bi? ???), her past relationships, etc. She said she didn't want to talk about it, but we were kind of in a rush when this episode happened.

I wish I could be closer to her with this aspect of our lives. She has also became one of my best friends and I wish she could trust me more. It's really weird because I'm that kind of person who gives it all away when feeling comfortable with someone, so she knows all about the info aforementioned, so as there isn't a reciprocity, i feel something is missing. How should I approach her to talk specifically about this? Or shouldn't I push it further?

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some clarity from your girlfriend. It's not really a case of pushing it, but more a case of being open with each other. The more openness you have in a relationship, the better, because it builds trust and enables you to support and care for each other -- that's what it's really about. If you talk to her again, put lots of emphasis on your desire to support and care for her, rather than a "clearing of the air". Set the tone for a respectful conversation, instead of a confrontation.