1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could my friend be gay?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by confusedinlove, Jun 16, 2015.

1. confusedinlove

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey guys :lol:

This is my first post here.

I'm a 23 year old confused/possibly bi (more gay) male who's still in the closet (re the gay part of me anyway). I'm just here for some advice on whether a friend of mine (who I really like) could be gay.

For starters, my relationship experience is pretty much nil. I've never been in a relationship throughout the 23 years of my life. Despite having liked a few guys over the years, I never expressed my feelings as I was simply not ready to come out. I've also had a a number of people ask me out, both guys and girls, but I ended up rejecting all their advances (due to fear of coming out, and relative lack of interest respectively).

I believe I'm fairly straight-acting, although I do take a lot of care with my overall appearance/hair/attire. The vast majority of people I've been around would never entertain the possibility of me being gay - they just assume that I'm straight since I don't exhibit much of the stereotypically 'gay' traits. However, I have registered on the gaydars of some experienced gays, who speculate that I may be and make tentative advances, but even then they are not completely sure.

Having been deeply closeted for all my life, I do feel like I've missed out on a lot. But recently (about 2 months ago), I made a friend who I have genuine and very strong feelings for. I can safely say that I've never felt this way about someone before, although I'm hesitant right now to call it 'love'. The good thing for me is, there's a real chance he might be gay, although having zero relationship experience, I don't feel my gaydar is up to scratch to jump to conclusions.

Here are a few reasons why I think he might be gay:

1. General campness. Let's just say my friend is by no means the most masculine guy out there. He displays somewhat effeminate mannerisms, has a subtle lisp (only sometimes) when he pronounces 's' sounds, and slightly feminine intonations when he talks.

2. Attention to appearance. My friend has quite a good collection of clothes. He loves to wear bright colours in summer, loves going shopping for clothes, does his hair regularly, has a liking for fragrance, and on the whole looks more clean and tidy than most straight guys.

3. Hobbies and Interests. He doesn't really show an interest in the typical 'straight-male' sports like soccer and basketball, but prefers racquet sports and the gym. I'm not sure how convincing this is, but I guess it's these little details that add up.

He said he loves flowers and fragrances (okay, I have NEVER heard that from any other guy I've come across before, EVER, straight or gay), and would decorate his house with flowers when he buys his own home. He also has an ardent passion for music, including musicals, opera and singing - all in all, a very artistic guy.

4. Relationships and Sexuality. My friend is, objectively speaking, a devastatingly good looking guy (alright, maybe I'm not being so objective lol, but you get the idea.:eusa_doh:slight_smile:. Many of our mutual female friends have all talked about how cute/attractive he is, but strangely, he doesn't have a girlfriend. Whether he's had one before is uncertain, but if he has, he's never brought it up with me or any of our friends when we hang out together. The vast majority of guys I know always seize every opportunity to boast about their past romantic conquests and how 'good' they are with the ladies, and all pretend to be experts on how to get girls.

I don't see my friend display signs of interest towards guys or girls around us. He doesn't sneak a glance when an attractive guy/girl walks past, and seems to treat friends of both genders perfectly equally. In this regard, he would appear to be 'asexual'. However, sometimes when we're out on the street or go going shopping and come across some billboards with female models on them, he would exclaim "Wow she is just stunning". Now that I come to think of it, he uses the word 'stunning' every time he describes a girl's appearance. Every other guy I know uses vocabulary like "hot", "sexy", "a babe" etc.

4. Personality. My friend is a very meek, humble, docile and generally 'nice' guy. He's never boastful or crude in his speech and is very courteous. He never swears either, because he thinks it's "not good". His main verbal manifestation of venting frustration is '*loud groan* followed by "oh noo"!'

He is also quite shy and doesn't like too much attention, but isn't timid. However, he doesn't appear to be very sociable or friendly at first sight (although he can be quite a character once you get to know him). He said this aspect of his personality has changed a lot from his teenage years though.

5. Attention to detail. My friend is a stickler for detail. He loves those little details, especially when we go to a cafe or a restaurant (like candles, ornamental cutlery, flowers - yes, flowers again), which a typical straight guy would not even mention (or probably notice in the first place...)

6. When we hang out... I wouldn't categorize my feelings for my friend as 'love at first sight', but I was into him pretty quickly after we hung out together for one afternoon. Not one day would go past when I don't think about him.

As a result, I would try to hang out with him as much as possible (for a while, I hanged out with him every day of the week, something which I've never done with any friend). I'm not sure how a straight guy would feel if another guy tried to do this, but never once did he try to make up an excuse to avoid hanging out with me. He agreed every time.

When we're together, we can talk about pretty much anything. We shared some past experiences with each other, which isn't the sort of thing you would tell a normal friend. I really trust him, and I think he does too to some extent.

I had a couple of (possibly unilaterally) romantic moments with him too. Once when we were hanging out together, but I had to leave a bit early when something came up. He reached over from the other side of the table and grabbed my arm and said "Ohh I don't want you to go", before adding "sorry, I'm such a baby". I didn't say anything, but rested my head on his hand (which was grabbing onto my arm), and we stayed like that for about 10 seconds or so. :icon_redf Another time, he dropped me off at my house after a night out, and before I got out of his car, I told him "don't go", and I put one arm around him before leaning my head against his shoulder for a while.

I know these may not mean much, but for someone with no relationship/dating/romantic experience whatsoever, they really meant a lot to me. Also, both times he said absolutely nothing. It took me a LOT of courage to do what I did. I could never imagine doing this to a straight guy, since I'd probably get punched lol.

On the other hand, there are a few reasons why I think he might NOT be gay, which really confuse me.

1. Devout Christian. I know that religion has very little, if any, direct correlation with a person's sexual orientation, but the fact that he's such a faithful Christian who adheres religiously to the Bible means he would be less likely to be in a gay relationship even if he is gay.

2. Tries to avoid being perceived as gay. A lot of characteristics in my friend pretty much speak for themselves, but even so, he doesn't seem very open to things that may be considered gay. E.g. I asked him to see a movie with just me, but he replied "Isn't that a little weird with just the two of us? We should at least bring a third person or something, preferably a girl". :icon_sad: (can I just add that this made me really sad for a couple of days...)

3. Comments on girls (mentioned above) He does occasionally comment on girls' appearances, but only uses the word 'stunning', like I said before. He never comments on guys' appearances.

So...

What are the chances of my friend being gay, and also the possibility of us being together? I'm really really into him, but I'm quite scared to ask him myself. I would appreciate any feedback/suggestions/comments that can help out a poor confused guy. :lol:

A big thank you to everyone who took the time to read all of this! Love you all :eusa_danc

---------- Post added 16th Jun 2015 at 09:13 PM ----------

Just to add something which I forgot earlier...

Why I think he might be straight reason No 4:

4. About 90% of the time when we're not together, I'm the one who initiates contact. I reply to his messages instantly, but he sometimes delays for a while, and doesn't seem to write as much as I do most of the time. A lot of the time this worries me, since I feel he might not be interested or finds me annoying. But he seems perfectly fine when we hang out, and my worries dissipate. This roller-coaster ride of emotions keeps repeating itself, I can't really help it.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he turned out to be gay. But I sometimes also think, what if he's just a really effeminate, metrosexual, straight dude (the odds, guys...??). I go to bed every night thinking about him, and it's a really blissful feeling. Occasionally I worry if I'll ever lose him as a friend, and that actually makes me cry (I get quite emotional at night lol).

#1 confusedinlove, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  2. nothereanymo

Ok, first of all, as you seem to be aware of, either of those 'signs' can mean absolutely everything or absolutely nothing. None of that means he's gay, but none of that means he's not.
    Did you ever talk about sexual orientation or about the fact that you could possibly be interested in guys? I think that would be a good first step.

3. confusedinlove

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for your reply, nothereanymo. I haven't talked to him about those kinds of things, but I have mentioned to him how I really don't like it when get approached by girls (kind of an indirect way of saying I'm not interested in girls I guess...)

4. ToneDef

ToneDef Guest

Personally, I think there's a good chance he's gay but isn't ready to share it. Weigh your options before you think about asking him out. Is he a friend you really want to hang on to for a long time or is it a crush over a friendship? If it's one you think you can get over quickly and find a new friend, go for it I say. If it were me, I'd ask him out if I thought it was just a crush. That way, if all takes an unexpected turn, not much harm is done. If it's an honest friendship you want, and want to watch blossom over time, I'd do my best to move on and find someone else. Only you can know. Sometimes our feelings are so overbearing we can't help it. Just don't rush. Time is your friend. Best of luck to you (*hug*)

5. nothereanymo

I think first of all you need to let him know that you are interested in guys and see how he reacts.
    Then you could let him know how you feel about HIM and see how he reacts.
    If you like him and you feel like there's a good chance he might like you back, I wouldn't waste such a chance out of fear. Intuition is usually right.

6. confusedinlove

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks so much, ToneDef! To be honest, I haven't sorted out my feelings for him either. It's been 2 months already, but I'm still at that 'madly in love' stage and all I want is to see and be with him every day. I definitely have strong romantic feelings for him, but even if that doesn't work out, I would still love to have him as a close friend and a brother. That's why I'm still a bit reluctant to make any moves right now and am more inclined to keep our budding friendship going as it is.

I also agree with you in that he could very likely be gay but isn't ready to show it. But one thing which confuses me is, he doesn't make an effort to act straight either. He's said on multiple occasions "I feel like such a girl", "I'm such a pansy", "I have a girl's voice", which shows he is aware of the nature of his habits and mannerisms, but just stops short of revealing his sexuality. :eusa_doh:

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Although many of the things you highlighted could set off a 'gaydar' it's worth pausing to consider an important point... his faith and upbringing. If he is a very devout Christian who holds strictly to The Bible and has been brought up with these values it could be influential. Devout Christians tend to avoid swearing or cursing and put a lot of emphasis on social etiquette. While they may appreciate the opposite sex, it will not be in a lecherous or highly sexualised way and when it comes to traditional 'macho' activities and pastimes they may show little interest. Unfortunately, very devout Christians sometimes have negative opinions about same sex relationships. I'm not saying it's definitely the case, but it's all worth consideration.

You said that you are able to talk very openly to him about things and I wonder if you have ever asked him about what he looks for in a date. Not a girl... or boy, but a date.

Australians are engaged in a fairly lively debate about same sex marriage at the moment and it seems to me that you have a perfect opportunity to explore the whole subject with your friend without engineering it too much. Your countries Prime Minister is very much opposed, so you could frame a question around that particular issue. Ask your friend what he thinks about it and about LGBT issues more generally. If he seems quite relaxed about it, you may wish to tell him how you feel yourself.

8. confusedinlove

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks Patrick. He did tell me that he wasn't brought up a Christian, but he became one later in his life and has been very faithful to The Bible since then. I've brought up LGBT issues with him once or twice (albeit very tangentially), but he seems a bit reticent (not vociferously against, but not supportive either). I do really like him, but to a greater extent, I respect him a lot as well. I'll see if I can talk about the issue of same-sex marriage with him again and possibly try to discern how he feels about it.

---------- Post added 16th Jun 2015 at 10:27 PM ----------

So many mixed messages from him...but I guess no amount of analysis would be as effective as just talking to him about straight up. I'm not ready to take that step yet, unfortunately, and my perspective is also clogged by my fears and wishful thinking. If it ever gets to that stage where I feel the urge to tell him, I would tell him everything.

9. nothereanymo

I reached that stage of "urge", I told him, and it turned out fine.
    Though, to be fair, I already knew he was bi and he already knew I wasn't straight, so it was all a matter of telling him I liked him. We're still friends.

It really depends on each case. And I don't think you should feel pressured on doing it right away, but I do think that, if you want to pursue this, if you want to tell him, don't let fear of rejection hold you back. A 'no' is always guaranteed.

10. confusedinlove

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks, mate. Hopefully when I tell him, I'll have a better idea of his sexuality and whether he likes me, and vice versa. That would definitely make expressing my feelings a lot easier, since it kind of cuts the 'coming out' step. :lol:

11. guitar

Patrick hit the nail on the head with the Christian thing, which was my thought before I got to that part of your initial post.

I exhibited quite a few of your friend's described behaviors when I was closeted and into a guy. But as you say, there is no proof he's gay. One of my good friends growing up was just like your friend: Flowers, slight lisp, no sports, meek, never commented on girls. He's straight and very much into straight sex and his wife... So metro straight guys definitely exist.

I did like another poster's suggestion that you tell your friend you're questionning. Although I would also be cautious of this at the same time due to him being devout and could cost you the friendship you now have.

Still, I can't get his hand holding and shoulder leaning with you out of head. Straight guys really don't do that - at least that's been my experience. With the info you've given me, I'd guess he's closeted but he very well could be straight. Maybe see how he does with an LGBT topic being brought up, that way you really don't have much to lose.

12. confusedinlove

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey guitar, thanks for your reply! I think your opinion is very rational and objective. None of his behaviour/traits can be directly attributed to him being gay, so I guess there's no point in me dwelling too much on that, especially when guys who display those characteristics can still be straight like your friend.

However, what comes to me as surprising is that he is perfectly aware of his effeminacy and acknowledges it in front of me (like I mentioned in an earlier post), which probably means that his feminine qualities don't really bother him at all. If he was really closeted, you'd think that he would at least tone down some of his mannerisms and statements about himself liking flowers etc. What's your opinion on this one?

The hand holding and head resting were no doubt the two most beautiful moments of my life. :kiss: I've never done that with someone I have feelings for, let alone someone I like this much. I'm not sure if he was too polite to tell me to stop, or whether he was welcome to it. There's absolutely no way I can imagine two straight buddies doing that to each other, so I really hope we shared something in those two exceptional moments.

13. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My guess would be that he is gay,but he is using his religion as an excuse to stay closeted.

If I were in your position I would come out to him in a very casual way.Next time he finds a girl "stunning" just reply with"as you probably know by now,im not into girls" and see what his response is.Or if you really want to get the point across you could say"with being mostly gay girls don't really do much for me".Just try to keep it casual and normal,if you don't make a big deal of it he may be open to talk more of his own feelings.

14. confusedinlove

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks csm123. That's a very plausible explanation for his behaviour. I really like your suggestion in that it's not overplaying the whole 'coming out' thing, and would give both me and him and opportunity to talk about this (especially how I feel about him). I don't think I'm ready to do that just yet, but I'll definitely take your advice on board.:lol:

15. Fred89

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't believe that any of those gay stereotypes mean anything. He could be a straight soft spoken gentlemen, or an asexual as much as he could be gay. Why don't you just ask him?

16. confusedinlove

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I understand that signs don't tell you much and can obviously be inaccurate too, but I don't think I'll be comfortable at this stage asking him upfront about his sexuality. I might offend him. I think I should wait till there's a better opportunity in the future when we're even closer and more comfortable discussing these issues.

17. ASmith

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    He's probably not. I relate to a lot of your points, it's just that I am not attracted to other guys physically, emotionally, and sexually. I am just more tolerant than the regular guys as to allow myself to be around gay people.

I have mannerisms I picked up from somewhere that made people think I was gay. I am honing on them to get rid of them so that people don't get the wrong idea.

I am very well groomed as well. Although I wear dark colors.

I am also into racquet sports and not into the stereotypically manly sports (except fo basketball; I'm starting to like following NBA) but into the gym. I'm very fit.

I am also good looking, to the point that men and women acknowledge it. I have never had a girlfriend because I don't want to commit, and because I am very picky with girls. The girl I seriously date will probably be the girl I will marry.
    The reason I don't boast about my conquests (I've had experiences where girls literally fought for me, PHYSICALLY pulling me from other girls) is because I don't want to come off as cocky, and because I am comfortable with who I am, and I have nothing to prove.

I also do not display signs of interest especially to girls (in public) because I don't want to give the wrong message. Whenever I show the slightest interest, girls always think I want to date them. Your friend is probably not asexual; he is probably doing the same thing.
    What I share with your friend is the same high standards of appreciating beauty: I am definitely into beautiful girls.

I've also been told to posses the same personality. I don't cuss or use crude language.

I am not shy however, I just do not warm up easily to strangers and don't want all the attention. The reason again is because we are both comfortable with ourselves.

Not the same with me. I'm a minimalist. But he probably simply enjoys aesthetics, because since he prides himself in his appearance why not make his surroundings the same?

I'm a Christian as well, and am very serious at it. I love the Lord that I will not participate in "hookup culture" and will obey him the best I can.

Same with me. My gay roommate invited me to go do some stuff with him (exclusively) . I thought it was weird and just shy of being in a gay relationship with him. Said no and made excuses.

Bottom line: He's probably not gay. Don't invest too much hoping this can lead somewhere.

18. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you're reading way too much into it. On top of that, you're calculating every mannerism as to suggest homosexuality. I can think of nearly every guy I know and calculate 5+ characteristics that would suggest he's gay. Not all straight men are masculine by definition. I hate to be harsh with you, but it sounds like you're just merely wishing that he's gay. In the case that he very well could be: based on the fact that you initiate majority of conversations, finds it weird for just you two to even see a movie together and he delays responding to you — I doubt his interest would be in you if he did come out of the closet. Some guys are just very genuine and respectful with very tight morals. That's probably the case for him.

19. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    While I don't think any of those things mean he's gay, they don't mean he's straight either. You will be surprised by who's gay/not gay because not everyone looks like a stereotype of their sexuality. I think if you over analyze everything he does, you will just get more and more confused. I agree that you could bring up LGBT topics and use that as a way to come out to him. Once you come out to him, he could come out to you too, or not. I think that would be a good first step though even if you continue your relationship just as friends.

20. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, your friend could be gay, or bi, or straight... I feel that the best way to get an answer is to come out first yourself, even if your questioning. Most people will be understanding that this is a big deal for you and that you have shared something "secret", and it at least levels the playing field by letting him know you would be open to a relationship with a man.

Afterward, you do have the awkward phase of either telling him you like him or (hopefully) him replying to you about his own sexuality. If he says he is straight, then believe him no matter what you suspect. Just like you have rejected guys' advances when you were closeted, he could easily do the same.