1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone give me some advice? Workplace related*

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by michaeljx30, Jun 16, 2015.

1. michaeljx30

Im going to try and cut this short because i don't want it to be a really long post that you'll be bored of at the end:lol::lol:

Started at my current workplace 6 months ago, settled in pretty well! It was one of the lads birthdays, call him Friend A so we all went out to the pub to get pissed! I ended up paralytic with my head down a toilet for 2 hours (i had actually passed out). My best friend worked at the pub, so she looked after me whilst working. We headed off to town for the rest of the night (i didnt touch another drop), grabbed a kebab and we walked home. Friend A told me that although i hadn't been at work long, he liked me and i said i liked him too, he was cool.

Speak to my best friend the day after and she tells me that i was really drunk, and that her manager was ready to kick me out. She then drops a shocker on me and says Friend A quizzed her about whether i was Gay? I was really pissed off because me and friend A speak at work and outside. if he was curious as to whether i fancied lads, why not ask me?

Get to work, and i'm the talk of the store (work night shifts at supermarket). Everyone is talking about how drunk i was and that im hilarious and naughty. Comes to break time, and i was topic of conversation again! Apparently i was flirtatious with another lad (Friend B), and i couldn't take my eyes off him all night. I had bumped into Friend B earlier during my shift, and was being off with me, so i knew something was wrong. I also couldn't stop touching him, yet Friend B had pulled my down to the ground numerous times because he'd been drinking to. It became really awkward and uncomfortable to be around Friend B, awkward eye contact, no conversations just walking past each other. Then Friend A's Brother tells me that once i knew i hadn't got a chance with Friend B, i was over Friend A :confused: i was like what? your joking yeah? and they were like no, but they couldn't stop laughing! The only thing i remember mainly with friend A, is he put his arms over my shoulder and told me he liked me, and i said he was cool i liked him too.

I became really distant with everyone at work, i felt like a laughing stock. Then Friend B asks me if i've got a problem, and i just said 'no im cool' and he was like have we upset you? and i again said no, if they had i would of let them know, and he walked off and said i don't believe you. The awkwardness eased after a few days, but i feel like im having to watch what i say and do around him. We have this thing where we dead eye each other, then just smile/laugh because we can't keep it up no more:lol: but then people are like oh god, flirting again! Friend A was back in the night after, and he was cool with me, but i did ask him about asking my best friend whether i was gay, and he said 'sorry bro, i don't remember i must of been more drunk than i though' and i went if u wanna know, just ask me (he didn't after i said it).

It died down after a week, i think some people suspect that i do like lads (if they were to ask me, i would tell them honestly). However, it's comments that are being made that are getting me irritated slightly. we got into a car the other day, and Friend A's brother was like, u can sit next to Michael cause we know he wants you :confused: and i thought wtf? then i was walking to maccies with Friend A, and Friend C came over and went 'Friend A's having a fag with a Fag' :tantrum: They're wasn't any need for it tbf. And last night someone i don't even speak to had the cheek to turn round and say, 'i bet if you asked him to suck you off he wouldn't say no' this was in reference to me saying no to my manager for overtime. Then to top it off, another lad turned round and went Michael's bisexual arent you' and i went yeah, course i am being sarcastic and the expression on some of their faces was priceless.

I'm unsure whether it's best to tell them look, I'm pretty much confused about my sexuality. Yes im 20, but recent events have made me question certain things! And make it clear that some of the thing's they say aren't needed. Or do i just take it as banter? Because when im talking to them on their own they are fine, but when were together as a group, im literally bashed and ripped into about it all. I don't get upset over what they say, or take it to heart i just think 'no need' and thank god i aint the sensitive type! Only downside to telling them, if that i don't want Friend A or B to feel weird around me, but then i think if they can't accept it, then they aren't worth my time.

It bugged me that much, i actually told my best friend i was confused and she's been very supportive and told me that i'll figure it all out in the end. Her advice was dont make the same mistake she did and presume colleagues are friends, because they aren't and from her first impressions at the pub, they're idiots who are using me for their own entertainment.

2. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm. This is a difficult one, really... because without seeing these guys and how they treat you, we can't say whether they're good friends or not. I guess the first bit of advice, is that it's not good to get so drunk that you aren't in control of your actions and pass out. I'm sure you know that, of course :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but it can lead to awkward situations like the ones with Friend B!

My instinct is that your workmates don't really know where they stand with you - you haven't spoken to them openly about questioning your sexuality so they probably don't know whether to take you seriously. You've joked about being bisexual, but that was a joke - and they probably know that they can't judge you from how you acted when you were drunk. The fact that they were surprised when you said you were bisexual makes me think that they actually haven't guessed your sexuality - and maybe their jokes, even if they are in extremely poor taste, aren't specifically aimed at you being LGBT.

Unfortunately blokes do have this habit of really ripping into other blokes. Sometimes it's friendly banter, but sometimes it crosses the line and is genuinely hurtful. Perhaps they don't know where that line is, and if they don't know for sure what's going on with your sexuality- they don't know how offensive they're being.

I'm not saying you should lay it all out for them when you're still discovering your sexuality for yourself, but perhaps you should give them a little more leeway considering they might not know the whole story.

(Having said that, they could be total idiots :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ... but at least your best friend sounds cool! If they are people who are going to treat you different based on your sexuality then you don't need 'em.)

3. michaeljx30

Thanks for the reply! I know, I'm usually pretty good with my drinking. I missed a key part out, after reading your response - I was told that they had been adding vodka's to my pint's, which pretty much makes sense as to why i passed out! - Something else i wasn't to happy with! Yeah i completely understand where your coming from! I know deep down that when I've been drinking i'm flirtatious, i don't know why it happens tbf but it just does, male or female!:confused:

Me & Friend B are pretty much OK now, it's not usually him that does the ribbing, it's others and he just laughs at it all! With Friend A, he's often doing the ribbing, or adding in the odd joke here and there, but i think i kinda missed the opportunity to open up more to him. If he asked my best friend whether i was into lads, then it's something he's thought of before!

Yeah i get where your coming from. Without them knowing anything, they just say what they say because they don't have much insight to what's going on and that! Yeah your last sentance is bang on!