1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How far do you go with platonic friends?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by luckywest, Jun 19, 2015.

1. luckywest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone,
    I just have a simple question. I am gay and my best friend is also gay, we get along great and through some recent events, have gotten even closer. Now I am a really 'touchy' person, meaning that I often hug and kiss (on the cheek) easily if the situation allows it. I kinda want to hug and kiss my friend as he is just an amazing guy (no sexual attraction though, purely emotional) but I don't know if he'd feel comfortable with that. So I kidna wanted to ask if any of you guys have best friends whom you consider to have a platonic relationship/friendship with and how much 'touching' is involved. :kiss:

2. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

I know the feeling! I had a friend who was really touchy for a time. It was confusing because I didn't know whether he wanted this to be platonic or something more.
    Anyway, I was very touchy with him in return. We've hugged once or twice but now we're less touchy (maybe it was just a 'touchy' phase for him).
    For you, maybe you could build up slowly: massage his shoulders, one arm around, full hug.
    Ultimately, I'm not you so you will have to make the final decision. You know more about the situation than I do.
    Good luck!
    Connor

3. Matz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I tend to accept touch, but not give it unless I'm interested in someone as more than friends. I find that it varies a lot from people to people and some heterosexual girls I grew up with would kiss each other on the cheeks, hug each other, etc. As long as everyone's comfortable and aren't interpreting it as something romantic or sexual, you're in the green.

4. xylaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Touching isn't something I do a lot. I have a friend who always pokes me in the ribs and I do the same for her. We'll hold hands a bit then let go. We're incredibly alike in personality so touching is limited and rare. She's attractive but that's all there is.
    Now, my other friend was very touchy. She would hug me, sleep on me, wrap her arms in mine and I would do the same. Eventually we started dating without even acknowledging it. sad to say, but I am feeling we are drifting apart emotionally. Touching really complicates things, for me at least, and every relationship will have a flaw because we're imperfect.
    Set boundaries. And communicate. Talk about the limits you guys are willing to take. I wish I did.

5. yaoicore

yaoicore Guest

I had a friend that a do those things toward me. I told him that I did not like it and he stop I really miss those kisses and strange hugs. he end it up moving far away but this week my mom told me that he was back in town I'm afraid to talk to him. I say give it a try.

6. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kiss on the cheek, jokingly hold hands, jokingly inappropriately touch each other. We're pretty vulgar..... Sometimes I get high with my straight friends and play the nervous game lmao

None of the touching has ever meant anything or ever meant in a serious sexual and/or romantic way.