1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to move on from negative friends?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by BAMyr59, Jun 20, 2015.

1. BAMyr59

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm really upset, because one of my best friends doesn't support LGBT rights, at all. We've recently had a fall out but I keep finding myself crying from time to time because I miss her. She has had multiple statuses about being anti-Caitlyn Jenner, yet when she is with me she says "She doesn't care they can do what they want, but her religion says its wrong." I just like am so frustrated she has no idea bout my sexuality, and NEVER will. Because, I can't even imagine what would happen if she knew. I just want to know how to be able to remove people from my life who don't support me or my friends, no matter how much I care about them. Any advice?

2. TeaCupQueer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm religious and a lesbian. The Bible has been translated so many times that some stuff was misinterpreted. God loves everyone, the bible even says that so she has no excuse to be against the LGBT community. We're supposed to love everyone. She seems to very ignorant. I'm actually having to get over some negative friends myself. Just try to think, does she make you happy most of the time or sad most of the time? If it's the latter, than I suggest letting the friendship taper off.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Bible says nothing about what we would call transgender. Also, your friend is unfortunately just spewing what others have told her to believe and probably has not even thought about trans issues until Caitlyn Jenner made it something unavoidable.

I think you should just start cultivating relationships with more accepting friends and family, the ones who will post in support of LGBT rights. I have a lot of those friends, and I have started coming out to them. Eventually, you may get to a point where you want to come out to everyone, including this conservative friend. It will be hard, but it will hopefully change her perspective; people can be really ignorant when they aren't exposed to those being stereotyped and disparaged.

Remember, homophobia is the real lifestyle choice. "People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite" - Nelson Mandela

4. BAMyr59

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks guys I ended up actually coming out to her, my coworkers were giving me flak about not dating anyone currently although I do like someone who happens to also be femalebut currently openly questioning their gender, so I just told them about this person, She ended up taking it the way I expected her to, she was clearly awkwarded out by it and then later also made the comment after I accidentally bumped into her"Don't get freaky fresh with me because I'm a girl." Realizing this person clearly isn't worth my time.

5. Matz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sorry things turned out this way. Sometimes struggling friendships can be salvaged, but if only one person does their part then that's that.

I lost some toxic friends in the past who I didn't view as toxic at the time, and it was only when I'd relocated to more empathetic and accepting people that I realized how their treatment of me seeped into the way I perceived myself. They treated me like a second-rate friend, and because I accepted it I started to feel like one.

6. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry this has happened to you... I know exactly how you feel. My best friend wrote a huge rant online expressing his disapproval of the Supreme Court ruling yesterday. It's not surprising because I already knew how he felt, but every time he says something it still hurts a lot. I don't know how I feel exactly. Should we stop being friends with people because we disagree on one issue? Should we just ignore the way they think about LGBT people because we like them as a person save for that one viewpoint? I don't know the answer.

Has she been a good friend otherwise?