1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How successful relationships bud and bloom

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by edjs, Jun 20, 2015.

1. edjs

edjs Guest

I have googled this countless times but I would like to hear real life experiences about real relationships, rather than getting the generic '10 signs he likes you' answers.

I am closeted and have never been in a relationship. I am very clueless when it comes to picking up signs of attraction - I'm always the last person among my friends to notice when a couple starts dating.

I am very romantically frustrated and I could really use some happy real life stories about successful relationships, specifically around:

- how you met your guy,
    - how you found out you like each other,
    - how you started dating, and
    - how you know he is the one etc.

What I'm hoping to get from this is some pointers on how to identify the right person and how to start and maintain a healthy, successful relationship.

2. robclem21

Hi There,

I'm not sure how helpful my personal experience is going to be to you, but I will share nonetheless. It is important to understand that every person and every situation is different, and what works for one person or one couple, might not necessarily make another couple successful. I think your last two questions are a little bit different from the points you are asking for as well.

Anyway, I met my boyfriend online (not a dating site however, just a random site). He messaged me first, but I was the first to ask for his number so we could actually talk. I used some very subtle cues such as lots of smily emoticons and exclamation marks in his messages, and some of the things he was saying to clue me in that he might be interested. After only a few days chatting I asked him out on a date to which he was extremely excited about. A couple days later we went on a date and the rest has kind of just played out. Down the road we exchanged "I love you"'s and how do I know he is the one?

Well, I've never met anyone who makes me this happy in my life. When I am around him I feel so loved and protected and valued. It is difficult to explain. I think about him all the time and he is the most supportive, involved, motivating person I've met. He really pushes me and makes me better than I've ever been with out him. All of this is of course, dearly returned. I just know I want to spend the rest of my life with him.

As for your other question about maintaining a healthy relationship. First off, no relationship is perfect, and anyone who tells you theirs is, is full of shit. lol. They take a lot of work, constant communication and being understanding of each others needs. Be open with each other when something is bothering you, talk about it, and find ways to resolve it that make both of you happy, but also let some things go. Not everything needs to be talked about if its small and just be aware that there is always some bad with the good. No one is perfect and should never have to be. Most importantly, be there to support each other through everything. Good or bad because thats the only way they will be there for you when you need it.

Well, that's all I got but I'm also hardly an expert. Take it with a grain of salt.

3. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hehe, I am thirteen. And not with a guy, but I will say anyway.
    I met her in elementary school, and we were best friends. I actually know her for 4-5 years now.
    We have a very close relationship, even before dating. We used to call each other sisters as promise to be together forever and cuddling and "I love you"s were perfectly normal between us. Neither of us were emotionally open around anybody else. I realized I liked her a few months after I realized I was attracted to girls as well. Then, I hated it so much because I thought being gay was bad, so I ignored it. Eventually, she told me, and I almost rejected her. Honestly, I only accepted because I felt bad. I hated gays at that time, but I did love her. Within a month of our relationship, I came to terms and accepted my sexuality.
    I think she could be "the one"
    I know I'm way too young, but I can't describe how much we are to each other. She helped é through depression, she has seen me during panic attacks, she once saw me cut myself. I've seen her cry, and she's never cried in front of anyone else. We tell each other everything. The bad and the good, and we get through it. I love her so much, and she loves me so much. She is also the most faithful person I know. She is loyal to who she cares about, as am I. We are both so happy together, and always make time for each other no matter how busy the day. Our relationship is awesome.

From experience, I think a healthy relationship involves communication above all else. No secrets or lying, be straightforward whether it is good or bad.
    Also shared values in relationships are important to establish. Example: sex, monogamy, how much time, sduff like that has to be discussed in order for the relationship to last well long-term.
    If you sort all of that out an are willing to accept all of your partner, good and bad, that is good for a long term relationship.