1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Religious Mom

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by bhicks92, Jun 20, 2015.

1. bhicks92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I grew up in a very religious home. I have come out about 2 years ago I have a boyfriend I've been dating for 1.5 years now. About a week ago my mom saw a picture of me and my boyfriend dressed as Adam and Steve (it was for a Halloween costume and an obvious joke) from my bf page (she has me blocked) on Instagram, but she is super upset about it. My brother has flown home from school to surprise my parents for Fathers day we were supposed to go dinner the night he got in, those plans got cancelled. I now have found out that even when I come over on Sunday for Fathers Day she is going to leave so she doesn't have to see me.
    Am I crazy to be sad and upset? I don't know why she is acting like this. She won't have anything to do with my Boyfriend, she won't even let me talk about him when she around. Every time I see her there is always tension, it used to never be hard talking to my mom and now I don't know what to do.

2. DragKing692

I'm sorry you have to go through all this. I have a religious mom too, but I would be totally upset also if that happened to me. What I would do is that see what your (if they're supportive) dad and or brother can do to talk your mom into talking to you. It might help. And in the mean time, find some supportive friends to help you out and give you some advice. I hope you settle things with your mom. If you need anything, feel free to message me.
    Love,
    Bernie :slight_smile: <3

3. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

I am so, so sad for you and your family. Could you make it an all guys' dinner out? Or order in? After all, this is to honour your father.

Would she read a letter if you wrote how you feel?

Maybe ask her why she is acting like this? Is she embarrassed? Disappointed? Hurting? Afraid you're going to hell? Disowning you?

Get the feelings into the open soon, but remember, tomorrow is about your Dad and your brother who made a special effort to fly in, not so much about you or your Mom.

I hope you know God loves and accepts you, even if your mother rejects you. If at all possible, don't lash out at your Mom in anger because what will it accomplish besides more hurt. Let her see the wounds she's inflicting, the pain, and tell her that you long for her to love you unconditionally.

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You have every right to be upset that a parent who raised you can be so hateful and try to ostracize you. 2 years is a long time to be so upset, and it sounds like she isn't making progress.

Try to see what you can do with your father and brother, and don't think you should feel sorry for your mother's behavior. It's her choice to act so dramatic. I agree that would be helpful to get others like your father and brother to talk with her, but she may be very stubborn.