1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've hit rock bottom and feel like I'm running out of time.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by unknownuser1990, Jun 22, 2015.

1. unknownuser1990

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Guys, it's bad.

Recently, I was having a chat with a good friend of mine and we came to the conclusion that if you're in your mid-to-late twenties (as we both are) then life really comes down to romantic and professional success. The problem is, by those standards, I'm the world's biggest screw up.

I used to have the perfect job - the one I'd always fantasised about and studied extensively for. It was the best thing that had ever happened to me. It was so good and I was so happy with it that I'd completely forgotten that the rest of my life was an unenviable mess. However, the company I was working with announced that cutbacks were required and I was subsequently let go. They still wanted me and I still wanted to work there but the accountants said it was not to be. I was canned, with the best wishes, but canned all the same. Needless to say, the effect on my self-esteem, had I had any left, was fatal.

It would be ok if I had someone to come home to. Someone to make me feel better, to tell me it's ok and to make the silence I live in that little bit less deafening. However, I've been alone for the last five years and there's little prospect. After all, who would want to go out with a chubby, unattractive, unemployed, socially-bankrupt bore? I can tell you that from personal experience the answer is pretty much no one.

What makes it worse is the all consuming feeling of being left behind by my better, more successful peers. They are all, to a man, in relationships and working in the jobs for which they trained. My two ex-boyfreinds (the two men who ever showed me some romantic compassion) are both married and making progress in their chosen professions. I don't begrudge them it but I just wish I could could share in just a little of their success. I've never felt like I fit in in gay culture, what with my geeky obsessions and chubby, unremarkable appearance. As a result, I'm so incredibly lonely. The final nail in my romantic coffin is a tragic inability to even consider making a move on someone I like the look of, anyway, what would be the bloody point? I've been rejected too often to continue, doing so would almost be self-abuse.

So there you have it, I'm unemployed, lonely, romantically incapable and doomed to be the sad, lonely, elderly gay man propping up the gay bar and getting fleeced by the same young twinks I lust after today.

Pretty tragic huh?

#1 unknownuser1990, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  2. richr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You've verbalised my sentiments perfectly haha...except I have never been in a single romantic relationship. I've not even been kissed...or kissed anyone!

I find it easier to just focus on my career for now. At least I know that hard work pays off in the marketplace but, when it comes to love, I have no control whatsoever. Hopefully it will come someday and it will be beautiful. For now I just want to invest the time and energy I have on things with measurable and reliable expected returns. (Please pardon my finance background).

Don't be disheartened. You are still very young and at the very beginning of your career. Take it as an opportunity to explore your abilities and find out, in terms of career, what you're good at, what makes you tick and what you definitely don't want to do.

Keep looking for jobs that promise good career growth and that will equip you with transferable skills that are highly valued by employers, e.g. leadership, project management, people management, change management skills etc. Find a mentor, network, read a lot, take courses (there are lots of free ones on Coursera and Edx), go for a professional qualification or even go back to full-time education. Whatever. Just make sure you have a well researched and defined goal and that you make use of your youth wisely. You will thank yourself when you have a successful career, a good bank balance, a house to your name debt-free, and the ability to pursue your hobbies and interests without any financial angst.

#2 richr, Jun 22, 2015
  3. Night Rain

Hey, you got to give yourself more credit!

You didn't get the job because it was handed to you. You got it because you deserved it. You're only temporarily unemployed. You'll find a job in due time, maybe not as good as your old job, but still a job nonetheless.

The world will surprise you. :grin: Attractiveness is subjective. If you don't like the way you look, then change it, exercise more. Don't equate being chubby with being unattractive! Some people even prefer the chubby looks. Geekiness can be a plus as well!

I understand what you're feeling. My increasingly successful peers often left me bitter and jealous, but I've learned to be happy for them.

It's still not too late to turn your life around. To be honest, it's not that bad to begin with. Good luck!

4. Sek

Sek

Aw man. I wish you weren't so tough on yourself, it's hard to read someone belittle themselves like you have. I don't doubt you might be going through a rough patch, but you have to recognise that any storm (literal or metaphorical) has a beginning, middle and an end. You are in the tough part which is the middle but you have to stay grounded and find healthy ways to make yourself feel better.

In life we travel paths that sometimes go awry. There's always some good to be made because our paths don't always go how we expect them to, and more often than not there is some revolutionary good that comes out of it which changes us. Look for that in your life; going through struggles betters us because we learn from it, but we have to consciously recognise the lessons and intentionally allow ourselves to move forward.

And as a final note, one thing that I've learned is that when something is making us unhappy, that is like a warning light that tells us change is needed. You have a few lights flashing because you have identified things you are unhappy with:

So you already know what you have to work on. Although I think we both know the problem is something a little deeper here, because you are blaming your unhappiness on temporary things. The solution to a healthier mind here is learning that these things do not mean much in the big picture of life, and beating yourself up over these things is not worth it. Sure, if it improves your life, change those things. But realise that these qualities are fleeting and another will come around to bring you down until you are able to make your happiness independent of these things.

5. unknownuser1990

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    richr, thanks for your support, it means a lot. I guess you have a point too, my career needs to be rebuilt now. At least I know I can get a job, it might not be the perfect job that I've just left (and in that way, I guess a feeling of going unfulfilled is inevitable) but it'll be something to help me get on in life. It's just brutal that the one part of my life in which there was any success has been kicked out from under me. It's almost getting too much to take and I'm losing my smile.

---------- Post added 22nd Jun 2015 at 09:28 PM ----------

Night Rain (wonderful name by the way, I'm imagining some kind of superhero), I'm glad you know where I'm coming from, how bleak it all feels at the moment. Particularly the bit about being surrounded by your more successful peers. I too am happy for my betters, they've clearly done very well and deserve the all the accolades which society bestows on them. It feels like being left out of a social club don't you think? The successful, beautiful, fuck-a-day, trim, smiley club? Or am I bordering on paranoia here?

---------- Post added 22nd Jun 2015 at 09:37 PM ----------

Sek, thanks for your comments too. You seem to have an optimistic and philosophically cheery outlook that I envy. I guess if there were a manual on how to think like that I'd buy one and read it thoroughly. I'm a little unclear on how my happiness can be independent of what is happening in my life, the things I don't have and that drag me down into the state I'm in now?

6. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    you're in your mid/late twenties goddammit!! plenty of scope for things to turn around!!

I know that job means a lot to self image and well being and so - as you sound very employable - then a new job can be the cornerstone for your new path ahead. It may be different to 'the perfect job' you had before .. but it could still be equally satisfying

7. unknownuser1990

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    bingostring, I'm towards the latter end of that age range if it makes any difference, specifically I'm 28. I'm not sure I really made it clear just how important that job was to be, it was my everything, my life, I lived and breathed it. It gave me something to care about and gave me the rewards that the rest of my life is absent of. I'm sure something will come up, it just has to. I can't imagine my life going on like this for much longer.

8. Jaymmm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Im almost your age, unlike you, i´ve never had the job i´ve dreamt about and there´s a little or no prospect at all and i´ve never had a relationship, do u still have a reason to claim? ;-)

9. unknownuser1990

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know I shouldn't grumble and that folks out there are having a tougher time than I, but it's all subjective right?

#9 unknownuser1990, Jun 22, 2015
  10. Sek

Sek

Would you go around and tell someone they can't be happy because others out there are having a better time? Hopefully the answer is no because it's ridiculous to base your feelings off other people! You can feel whatever you want because it's you who is dealing with it.

If you suppress your feelings, they more than likely pop up again in another area of your life in a dysfunctional way. Be that lower self esteem, shorter temper, etc.

Let yourself feel sad but also tell yourself that it's important to start getting over it by making productive changes. You can be sad, but don't keep yourself in that place by not changing anything.

11. unknownuser1990

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's the getting over it bit I find really, really difficult. I hold on to things and, in my worse moments, get very bitter and angry. Having thought about this stuff a lot, with it keeping me up at night, I guess my central problem is that I have no idea how to go about sorting the plethora, the litany, the encyclopaedia of fuck ups my life has become. The job one is different, there's a process for that which yields results for anyone if applied consistently and with enough frequency. The romantic stuff however, fuck'd if I know how to even start going about meeting someone (even just for a fuck - that would do) to be with. Genuinely, I need a Sherpa or a Tourguide for this stuff.

12. wasgij

Ask yourself, why would you want (as in, "why would I want..." ) to go out with someone who only cares about your professional job status? I've had similar feelings and it's really depressing to think that people will only be interested in you if you're currently in the middle of reaping some life reward-points. You can turn it around and say "I don't want that BS in my life anyway!" But in terms of what to do about it, I don't know if there's any right answer.

I'll tell you what my 20s were like: they mostly sucked. I was single most of the time, I hated it, and I was stuck in an endless cycle of desperately pursuing a change in that social status. If, rather than seeking out dates, chatting, spending 100s of hours maintaining online dating profiles, trying to work on my "attractiveness", "figuring myself out", and bouncing back whenever I got rejected, I had poured those 10 years of energy into a business instead, I could be a millionaire by now!

But I'd also be 50 times more clueless about anything to do with relationships. I might be in a relationship rather than single, but it would also be retarded, with me probably being unhappily married, being a controlling n00b, and facing some frustrating weirdness where my flaky wife wants a divorce, is never happy and blames me for everything.

Another way to look at your struggles is to realise that you're progressing. You're moving forward, learning and dealing with things that other people have not faced yet. You're levelling up. But if you're cruising, that's when you get blind-sided.

Dating while jobless and struggling can seem like such a dilemma. You've got X amount of energy. Should you spend it on attracting solid people into your life who will appreciate your artistic qualities?
    Should you ignore social stuff, and focus on getting straight back into a career?
    Or maybe do half of both?
    Career success is like a tree that's showing off some bright red fruit that's easy for everyone to see. The naive and greedy all want some of that. On the other hand, seeking a relationship can leave you feeling a bit hollow. There is another option...
    Focus on yourself and your other needs.

13. Closeteer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Had too long a reply so posted on your wall instead :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Sek

Sek

The truth is no one goes into a situation completely prepared for it because we can't know the future, even these metaphorical sherpa or tourguides you speak of wouldn't be completely prepared. It's about resiliency and applying your knowledge to whatever problem comes around. You're allowed to make mistakes, it's part of the learning process; but ultimately, identifying where you went wrong and being mature enough to make the necessary changes is what makes a successful and long-term happy person.

By the way, I too don't completely know how to go about meeting a person. But one day I threw myself in the deep end and managed to stay afloat, and now I'm in a relationship.

Don't get hung up on the idea that you are at a disadvantage or that you are part of a minority that is incapable of doing something, because no one is truly incapable, only unwilling to take the necessary risks.

15. Richie.

Life is not about any of those: the purpose of life is to be your true self and love. The road will take you in the right direction and you will run in with the people you are meant to meet.
    I don't believe careers and relationships should be a goal for the whole of your life. All careers end and relationships too. It's about the present moment and being happy. If you're not change !

Also things happen For a reason. You were let go so you are now free for the next chapter in your life something better!

And you go home every night and you have somebody... YOU. Be the friend/lover to yourself you always dreamed of and the right things people will come!

#15 Richie., Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015