1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't know how much longer I can deal with mom

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Invidia, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    My mom has been accepting of me coming out as trans and pan and whatnot, sure.

But she just can't get the fucking pronouns or anything right, and when she does, she does it with a distant or revolted or even aggressive tone.

I have told her specifically about three times "Please do not call me, "he", I get sad." "Okay!"
    And then she still calls me things like "bug man" and "hey you, tall guy". WTF?

I get so fucking angry I want to shout at her or hurl her out of the fucking balcony or I don't know. :tantrum: Not that I would even shout at her, but that's how angry I am...

And this is all at a very pivotal moment for me, a moment of intense psychological reconfiguration.

I'm done reminding her. Sometimes I just want to give up on her and don't think our relationship is going to survive this...

But at the same time, the part that's not the current temperamental me wants it to work or something...

Any advice?

2. lettuce

Hang in there! It gets better, even if it does take an unreasonably long time.

A family session with a therapist might help if you haven't already had one. My mum wouldn't listen to anything I had to say when I came out, but as soon as an authority figure was there to guide her she really started putting an effort into trying to understand me.

A book called True Selves also really helped her. Could you get your mum to read it, or some other trans resources?

Hope at least some of this helps!

3. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You could do the same to her, I mean to call her dad and use male pronoun with her. I can't guarantee you it'll make her understand but she might. :icon_wink

4. yaoicore

yaoicore Guest

I've already made up my mind. my family is not going to be a part of life if they keep this act up I'm sick of getting on my knees for their love and acceptance.

5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

@lettuce, I don't have the energy for anything like that, I'm spent in trying to talk to her... I'm so private with my feelings even telling her to stop misgendering me, just a short sentence, 1 ,2 ,3 times or whatever it was, in some consecutive weeks, left me spent... I'm weak, I know...

@paris, not really up for jokes, but the thought is a little bit amusing...

@yaoicore, my mom is not nearly as horrible as yours. I do fully understand your decision, however.

6. Posthuman666

Well, even if her constant transphobia never ends, she still can't change who you are inside. No amount of harassment will ever change that you are you.

No matter what, you are still you.

7. Invidia

Invidia Guest

yeah, thanks, but I don't want my transition to cost me my mom...

8. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

Try to ignore it. It's all very difficult for a Mom, and she has feelings to work out too.
    Often when we are hurt, we react with anger instead of simply saying, You know Mom, when you call me he, it feels like you are stabbing me right in the heart because inside I am a she. I know this is hard for you to adjust to, but I really need your support Mom. I don't want this to ruin our relationship.

9. suninthesky

It takes a lot of time sometimes, and more patience than we think we have. Out to my parents for more than 2 year and they don't use the right pronouns.

Hang in there.

10. CaillenJames

Out Status:
    A few people
    I still have this problem... with my whole family actually... and it's been a couple of years now. My dad actually told me, 'when you've actually legally become a man then I'll acknowledge you as a man'. That actually made me pretty happy because that's the most I've gotten from all of them, but still I wish sometimes that they'd just wrap their heads around it and accept it already. At the same time though, you have to look at it from your parents' point of view. It is a difficult thing (I imagine) to get used to. Knowing your kid as something and someone for their entire lives, then all of a sudden they are someone completely different. It makes a parent question themselves, especially a parent who doesn't entirely understand what it means to be transgender.

I'll give you an example from a parent's perspective. My son decided that he wanted to change his name suddenly. He introduces himself now as 'Siris' rather than the name he was born with. He writes Siris on all of his homework assignments; when he makes out birthday cards he signs Siris. This actually annoyed me at first. He's been one person his entire life, now all of a sudden he's deciding that he wants to be someone else... was the person he was before not good enough? Was the name I gave him not good enough? Are there things about himself that he dislikes and so he feels the need to change himself? If so, did I cause him to dislike himself? ...

It may sound silly, but these were actually things that I thought about when he told me he was going to change his name. I wondered what else about himself he wanted to change, his speech, his clothes, the shows he watches...? It never went that far, but it was something that I wondered about or maybe even feared.

Parents... we look at things differently. When something happens to our kids, when they make a decision or a declaration, we wonder why over and over again, no matter what it is. No matter how simple. We feel responsible for everything our kids do. For everything they feel. I don't know your relationship with your mother and it's unfortunate that she exhausts you so, but perhaps you both would benefit from having a conversation about the things bothering you both. Maybe instead of just being upset about her choice of words, you can ask her why she does it. Maybe you both could learn something about the other.