1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do You Make Friends?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Nelly1, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Nelly1

Out Status:
    Some people
    I would love to have some friends but I don't go to school. I'm feeling very down, I would love to have someone nearby that could be a friend. I've tried online forums and I've looked at clubs but I just don't know what's useful and what's not. How do you make friends online that you can meet in person?

Sorry, this is a very pitiful post!

2. yaoicore

yaoicore Guest

wish we was near each other then we could be friends cause I'm also lonely too I know my post is useless I just want it to cheer you up

3. Sobrina01

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I literally was thinking about posting the same exact thing, I also need help in this area. By the way, your location says you're from Brighton, do you mean Brighton, Ontario? I'm also in that area for the summer.

4. Nelly1

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm afraid not :-( I'm from Brighton in the south of England, though I didn't know there was another Brighton. Though that would've been cool to meet up with one of you!

---------- Post added 25th Jun 2015 at 03:06 AM ----------

Thanks - it's always really nice when people are so considerate, even if they can't do anything :slight_smile: I wish we all were a local community heheh

5. Posthuman666

I don't know how much an online friend would help, but Im always here to talk. :3

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One way is to find any groups that have similar interests. For example I got interested in traditional archery, which eventually lead me to joining a local SCA (medieval reenactment) group and then going to their archery practice group.

7. BiKate

I'm also struggling with friends. I have a few, but well, to be blunt they aren't the greatest friends.
    I know some people go on dating apps to find friends and I suppose that could possibly work.

Otherwise maybe try to find a part time work or volunteer somewhere, working can be a potential place to meet friends. I'm really shy so making friends is hard, but I neeearly made a friend from work, until I found out she was homophobic and didn't bother to work on it after that. Or you could move to Australia and we could be best friends! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    I have a dog, so I could probably make friends at the dog park, but most of the people around my age that look like they'd be my friend are all in relationships and there in their little couple bubbles so I can't really get anywhere with them. Otherwise they're really cute and I get shy and don't talk to them :')

Online friends can be really good too though. It's ok to not have friends though, you'll make friends eventually no matter what through life, but it's ok to not have any now. I only just started accepting that. Do things by yourself, friends will come with time :slight_smile:

#7 BiKate, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2015
  8. Rainbows~Exist

I know it sounds cliché but... be yourself. Just by being me I have met my closest group of friends :slight_smile:

9. Nelly1

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the advice. I'm shy as it is, but due to chronic illness I can't go to school/have a job because of it :-( I tried looking up online friend making forums but most of them have turned up to be a bit dodgy, so I'm a bit wary! I signed up for one and it told me it sent me a verification email, which I had to re-send about 10 times and it still hasn't come :-O

I don't have a 'thing' like most teenagers. I have hobbies, but no one hobby stands out more than others. I'm currently looking at clubs/groups in my local area to see if I can join one. This is going to sound harsh, but I would love to make friends who aren't ill or as ill as me because most of my life is focused on illness since my health deteriorated. (I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, a multi-systemic genetic illness that has no cure and is more focused on management, which I'm trying to achieve!) Plus, it would be nice to have someone who can make me feel 'normal' or 'typical' because I don't know what that feels like!

10. sappho06

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm changing country soon (I knew before signing up and put London as my location) and I'm hoping to meet cool people there. I'm kind of freaking out, actually. Anyway, I've decided to join a rugby team, sailing club and gym (partly to meet people, but mostly because it's what I love doing). I might join an LGBTQ+ youth groul, but I'm not sure there'll be one around where I'll live. That's just my plan, and I'm sure there are ways for you to meet people, even with you illness. Are you in a wheelchair? Because I'm planning on doing loads of charity runs with associations and stuff. In fact, there's one in Brighton in July or August. :slight_smile: People in wheelchairs can come, too. I just think that your disability shouldn't stop you from meeting people, you sound awesome, and I'd totally push your wheelchair for 5km if we meet :wink:

But if you're shy and want to meet people, the only way is to get out there and "take risks" (I doubt saying hi to someone is risky). So go for, extroverts like shy people :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: May I just ask what you can and can not do with your disability? I find that people tend to focus to much on what they can't do and that stops them from trying out other things. (I'm not saying that's your case, that's why I'm asking).

#10 sappho06, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  11. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try looking at groups in your local library. Also look into volunteer activities like maybe at a wildlife/animal shelter or food bank.