1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living at home

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by sweetfemme90, Jun 25, 2015.

1. sweetfemme90

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Background story for context- skip the next 2 paragraphs if you just want to get to the point.

So I am 24 and have been living with my parents for the past year in order to figure out my life. I graduated with a liberal arts degree and was rejected from 2 graduate schools. After more education on my career choice, I found a better way to get there that would ensure I would have a job. Before I wanted to be a counselor but now I want to be a psychiatric nurse. I live in Canada so if I am a psych nurse I can be hired by government agencies (more financial security for me) instead of searching for work in private organizations (non-profit, private practice).

So living with my parents at 24 is difficult and most things are workable because this is all temporary. Over the past year I upgraded my math and science courses to be able to take a nursing program. I worked my ass off and now I am able to take a practical nursing course and later take a bridging program to become a registered nurse, followed by another 2 year program to become a psychiatric nurse. My path in life is not linear and I have road blocks (rejected from the RN program, lack of cash, slow start).

Okay now let's get to the point

My parents are okay with me being gay but they are very judgmental. Some of the friends I have had were a little eccentric or did not fall under societal norms. So even if I made friends with people I would not feel comfortable bringing them to my house. It bothers me when my father makes twisted faces or says something about 'the-dude-in-the-dress' and misusing pronouns. It just starts a fight.

The thing is I feel lonely.

I got screens everywhere. My friends are all of you on EC, I skype people, text people, etc. I don't have queer human contact and it's hard. I am going to community college and usually community colleges don't have clubs and societies like universities do. Since I don't drive I cannot go to another city for queer organizations, I depend on my parents.

Is anyone else on this website experiencing this? I wish my life didn't have to be about everything that is going to happen for the future. It just feels like all I have now is hope for the future, it's just hard to enjoy life now because I feel so trapped. I want to say I live life to the fullest but I cannot.

2. AAASAS

You're parents are very accepting is all I can say, and though your father may use insensitive words it doesn't seem to be coming from a bad place. "the dude in the dress" really is progressive for an older man to use, he sounds like he just has a sense of humour.

I'd plug through the awkwardness and he'll most likely get more used to it and stop making faces, and saying things, because it seems he is open to it at least, and may need exposure.

Can you not rent someplace else? How expensive could rent in Halifax be?

Stop spending your life pleasing others, even if it's your parents, have people over, there is nothing wrong with it, there is something wrong with them being uncomfortable about it.

3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel you. I went away to college, actually, but after graduation I came home and left all my friends behind. I'm entirely reliant on my mom for transportation because I can't afford my own car. She also works extremely long hours which means I'm stuck alone in the house most of the time. I'm basically just going through the motions until I can get a car, a job, and move out.

Can you hang out with friends outside of your house? What about volunteering somewhere, perhaps in a LGBT organization?