1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on Best Friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by R4in, Jun 25, 2015.

1. R4in

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is my first post on this forum, having hardly come out to myself yet, but I am hoping I can get some advice on my version of a problem i'm sure nearly all of us have experienced before. So my best friend we will call C. I am very in love with him. I have been in love with him for four or five years without him knowing I was gay (he still doesn't know), and he is essentially the only reason i realized I was gay. I have two questions, essentially the first being do you think there is a chance he is gay (evidence to be provided later in the post) and the second being when it is right to tell him i am gay, because the whole relationship has been bothering me a lot more lately.

Reasons I don't think he's gay: I will start off with my least favorite things to think about.
    1) I would start with the fact that he has told me he is a homophobe (although I am almost certain I have talked him out of it).
    2) Next, he told me about times when he was in middle school and made out with a girlfriend.
    3) He insists he's not gay even though he is teased about it often by mutual friends of ours.
    4) He says he has crushes on some girls and is obviously awkward around them the way I assume people who couldn't talk to girls would be.
    5) Finally, I have recently been sending him lots of messages which, if he sent them to me, I would immediately understand that he was gay and that he liked me. Since he has told me is a homophobe and I don't want to ruin our friendship I am doing my best to let him know without telling him, so that if he was also hoping I was gay he would pick up on it, but he doesn't. He doesn't understand why it makes me sad for him to say he loves me like a "brother," and he doesn't pick up on what i mean when I ask why he doesn't like me. He says he does, and I say I mean I know he likes me but why doesn't he like me. He seems completely oblivious to these things, and maybe he is hiding still because his family is homophobic but I think it is also a bad omen for our love.

Reasons I hope he is gay: I say hope, because when I think about these things this much I am obviously going to read into them which is why I want an outside opinion. I will start by refuting the previous points to the best of my ability.
    1) He told me he was a homophobe randomly, only a little after we became friends and i didn't know what being gay was. It kind of just blurted out spontaneously as if he was warning himself of becoming too close to me as we walked together, I mean it was really out of context.
    2) This girlfriend from middle school he dumped without reason around 7th grade, which is probably around the time he would actually start to realize he was gay if he was going to.
    3) The fact that all of these people told me they thought he was gay without me asking seems like a good omen to me.
    4) He hasn't had a relationship with these girls since the one in middle school, and he systematically chooses a new girl every school year without really pursuing anything.
    5) I have no solution to this one so i will list new points. A lot of our friends thought that we actually had something going on for a while until I took a girl to prom as a friend (because apparently that means I'm straight). We actually "hold hands" whenever I say I am cold because he will offer to warm my hands with his. He told me he never hugs his family, but we hug every day after school before we go home usually twice. We spooned the last time I went to his house, and he lets me lay on his shoulder when we watch TV together. We do cheesy couple things like him giving me his sweatshirt, and when I told him I liked how it smelled like him he was okay with it. Other cheesy couple things include me sitting on his lap while we play games and him reaching his arms around me with his hands on top of mine on the same controller or our pet names we have for eachother . He also told me once that he didn't like me touching his hair (which I like) because he didn't like how random people said "look at the little gay boy." However, the times he was referencing were times I wasn't there, which makes it seem like he was self identifying as gay and that upset him, because there is no way random people would go up to him and say that. Finally, we text eachother goodnight with lots of hearts every night.

If you were brave enough to read those walls of text you have my eternal gratitude, because I really need a third party to analyze my acquired data since my viewpoint is hopelessly skewed. I hope every night that he is gay and we can live happily ever after, but I just feel like it is so hopeless sometimes

The final question I have is whether or not / how to come out or if I should. A year ago I tried to come out and I threw up for a few days because of the toll it took on my body so I just gave up.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

2. Xander27

First of all- the only way to know for sure if someone is gay is if they say they are, basically to ask them. Something to think about is some homophobes are in the closet- disgusted by themselves. So I guess it is possible.

As far as coming out, it's whatever is best for you. Since you're messaging him with things that imply you are, it seems you're comfortable enough for him to know about it, so maybe it would be easier to just outright say it. But again, it's whatever's best for you.

This probably wasn't any help at all, but I just hope everything turns out okay in this for you!

3. PennyMonkey96

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In my personal experience of coming out to my best friend I waited 6 years. The difference is I wasn't in love with him, I was in love with his brother. I told both of them at the same time. At first I thought he was a homophobe because of the way he would talk about the subject. He took it well and accepted me and treated me like he always did. I think you should tell him but take your time doing it, don't beat around the bush just tell him straight out.
    In my personal experience in being In love with someone who is "straight", which was his brother, I felt confused. when I told both of them I am gay my best friends brother, I'll call him J, started to tell me some of his past "gay" experiences which were just small elementary stuff and some high school things. Then I would tell him to message my feet and he would, I know that doesn't prove anything but he wouldn't do it to anyone plus he knew I was gay at that time. Then sometimes I would catch him staring at me and I would look at him and we would make eye contact for a while. I ended up getting away from him because I just gave up on th thought of him being gay. You shouldn't give up, tell him and maybe he feels the same. Good luck and I hope the best for you.