1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

messy situation

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by kaotyc, Jun 26, 2015.

1. kaotyc

I just came back from my friend's house. My friend who has a girlfriend. We wound up drinking (I am slightly buzzed while writing this) and we hooked up. His relationship is very off-and-on and he's been wanting to end it with the girlfriend.

I'm not that person that hooks up with other people's partners so I wound up pulling away and telling him no. But he's one of my only friends. Has been since elementary school. And we slept together previously a few years ago while drunk.

I don't know what to do. I feel completely sick about the whole situation. He's planning on ending it with her tonight because she is really unstable. But I feel like I just put myself in a bad situation because he's had a crush on me for a while.

What do I do?

2. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the best thing that you can do is take a step back from the situation. The fact that you pulled away makes me think that you weren't comfortable because the situation with his girlfriend had not been resolved. I'd listen to your instincts on this occasion.

As you say in your post, you don't want to insert yourself into the middle of a messy situation. I'd proceed very cautiously and make it clear to your friend that you can't begin to think about a relationship with him (even 'hooking up') until he's sorted out what's happening with him and his current partner.

3. kaotyc

He texted me earlier today that he broke up with her. But they've also been off-and-on for two years.