1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Religious best friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Beyond1, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Beyond1

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey, so I'm.. not particularly looking for advice or anything, but I just want to get this off my chest.

So I asked my best friend, who I've known for over four years over the internet, what she thought about the gay marriage thing. I'm so close to her, I care about her a lot. And... her answer was basically this:

"I'm honestly scared for the Christian community. Like I have nothing really against gay people or anything like I have gay friends I just don't like what they do but I respect who they are but being a Christian it's now going to be difficult bc homosexuality is already a controversial topic in the church and now it's possible for cops to come in and say that we can't say that being gay or whatever is a sin even tho that's against freedom of religion and speech but then gay marriage is legal so it's kinda... idk it's weird. Plus I'm embarrassed bc a Christian pastor promised to set himself on fire if gay marriage was legal and I just.... he's stupid. And I hate that I'm technically lined up with him for being christian. So yeah. My reation. Otherwise I don't know why it's took this long to legalize it."

Which is fine. But then I explained my thoughts and opinions on it. Like... I didn't understand why it was wrong to be gay in the bible. I wrote a whole lot more than that, but this was the response:

"Its a sin because God created Man and Woman for each other. His plan wasn't to have gays or lesbians."

And....

I should probably mention right now that I'm not religious. And I'm also bisexual. The... the comment hurt me, because like. She's so clever. She's intelligent, and I know she knows that. But this reply... It hurt. Because yeah, okay, that's a thing. But that still doesn't explain why it's wrong? It still doesn't explain why everyone is so opposed to gay people. And if that is literally their only reason... then that's horrible. All of that pain, all of that heartache, caused by people, families, not accepting their children or their family members, just because of that. It's not right.

I'm trying to be respectful to her religion. But it just really hurt me. I don't know. I just want her to... realize, that there's more to life than...

I don't know. I'll shut up. I'm sorry, I just wanted to get that off my chest. I've never really seen that side to her before, the religious side. I just... it's scary that my best friend believes some of it.

I'm sorry if I caused offense anywhere in this. I didn't mean to.

2. Posthuman666

That must be hard. I have an very religious friend and I haven't came out yet and he's definitely going to be the last one.

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your friend may be intelligent, but her reading of The Bible lacks intelligence. I'm not saying that in a nasty way, but she is simply toeing the line, rather than engaging in any serious consideration or personal study of The Bible. As a Christian myself (a gay, married Christian) I'm happy to tell you that I don't agree with your friend at all.

You might ask your friend to consider this: Archbishop Tutu 'would not worship a homophobic God' - BBC News

If Archbishop Desmond Tutu sees things like this, your friend might pause to ask herself why and reflect upon his comments.

4. BiPenguin

I'm afraid that religious people do tend to be rather illogical and stupid.