1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disowned by my father

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by irishluck, Jun 27, 2015.

1. irishluck

Out Status:
    Some people
    Just looking for some tips about how others who have been in this situation have coped. And wishing for some comforting words.

Long story short, I've been with my girlfriend for a year now. My dad initially told me the relationship is "immoral", he and I haven't really talked about it since then. Today I found out from my mom (who is accepting) that she told him if he didn't come around that he would eventually lose his daughter. His reply? "So be it."

He and I used to be so close, and now I see no other rational choice than to give up on the hope that he will change his mind. He is willing to not have a daughter anymore, just because I love another woman.

I know I'm not alone in this....it just really hurts and it's like I'm grieving the loss of someone who died...

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry about your father's intolerance, and it's totally okay to feel grief because you are losing the image of your father as a caring parent. Don't give up hope (definitely try to keep up with your mom), but don't wait for him to live your own life. There are many stories of parents who took years to change their minds, which shows the power of stubbornness. "Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die".

3. BiPenguin

I'm sorry this happened. It is his loss, not yours. He's merely helped you take a step in removing yourself from negative people.

4. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*)(&&&)(*hug*)(&&&)

What an awful act of unlove from that man! He will miss out on alot of joy and family because of his mistake, which he deserves for doing that to you. :frowning2:
    I hope you can take comfort in what family you do have, it sounds like your mom did stand up for you? Sometimes this situation can also bring out the good in other people. either way, you deserve a family who is there for you and loves you. I am so sorry he did that to you, it is unfair and an act of failed parenting. None of that is your fault by any means, love is not immoral. I hope you feel better, you should not have to deal with this. (*hug*)

5. mmmelody

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm so sorry. He is definitely missing out on a loving relationship with his daughter, in all her realness, and her partner. I'm happy that your mom stood up for you and that you have a special someone to rely on.

I hope, in time, he will grow as a person and come to accept you as you are. While younger generations are more accepting, people of older generations need more time. It may take years, but I'm sure it will happen at some point.

You are loved and your dad will learn. I am glad that you are living openly, though! Sending you good vibes :slight_smile: