1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to cry... Facebook arguments.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Xander27, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Xander27

I know this is long, but I have a response that I kinda want to make to a posting that a family member of mine made today. I am out as bisexual to everyone in my family, and so if I responded the way that I want to I wouldn't be outing myself or anything, but I want an opinion on whether this would be standing my ground, or what.. I don't know, what do you guys think about my response?

So, a family member of mine posted this today..

"After much thought and consideration.... I have decided to jump on the ban wagon and support the supreme courts decision to allow LGBT Marrage..........But let's not stop here.......Why don't we make marriage totally equal, and allow anyone to marry!?!........this should include bigotry (allowing a man or woman to marry more than one person), or better yet, to allow incest (to allow brothers and sisters, cousin and cousin, mother and son, or uncles and nieces to marry), or not not to discriminate against age, and allow pedifellia (to allow an adult to marry a child)!?! wouldn't the world be so much better if we allowed this!!!.............." followed by a thumbs down symbol (that won't copy and paste)

This is how I want to reply...

"It is a great time to be alive, that I am seeing same-sex marriage legalized here in my country. My statement is made in complete seriousness- yours does not appear to be. It seems to me that your statement is following the slippery slope logical fallacy- the idea that if/because one event happens, other events must as well. Allowing a couple that is homosexual the same right to marriage as a heterosexual couple in no way diminishes the right or the marriage of said heterosexual couple. Also, it in no way opens the door for bigamy (bigotry is actually intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself).

Incest unfortunately exists in this world, however same sex marriage in no way opens the door to marriage between a parent and a child, or siblings, or any such close relations (though in some states first cousins may marry, and in most if not all states one may marry a second cousin or a cousin once removed).

As far as an adult marrying a child, I personally believe that the laws that allow a child to marry an adult with parental permission, are much more likely to cause a slippery slope into what you seem to be afraid of than the actions of two, consenting, same sex adults.

If I choose to marry another woman, would that take any civil rights away from anyone else? No.

At the end of the day, #LOVEWINS."

2. Knave

I'd go for it. Unlike your family member's post your argument actually has substance to it, and isn't just angry sarcasm. If anything it could help that family member come around and see things your way.

3. BiKate

I say do it. What an ignorant thing for them to post. You'd be standing up for yourself. Go for it

4. Lindsey23

Yes, that's a well thought out response. Nothing wrong with posting it.

5. Xander27

Yep I posted it- let's see what kind of response it gets from the rest of the fam. May be blocking people soon

6. Posthuman666

Do it, witty comebacks are too few and far between.

7. Ashleigh16

That sounds great. I wish I had the courage to post something like that...

8. BiKate

Keep us updated. I love a good facebook argument! *Breaks out the popcorn*

Sorry, I do hope you're feeling okay, good job on posting it!

9. Xander27

well I felt the need to stand up for everyone who might not be able to do it for themselves- I'm still very sad that a family member of mine would say that, but at least now I know who not to invite to my wedding or collage grad. or well... anything else I do. there was a response from her, but I'm posting the converstation in a blog because I think that maybe some people might get encouragement from reading all of it.

10. Ashleigh16

Thank you. You're awesome for standing up like that's! :slight_smile: I wish I could do that..,

11. Xander27

Ashleigh16, maybe today you can't, thats okay too. A year ago, I probably wouldn't have said anything. But a year ago I was also so far in the closet I had moth balls in my hair- and well, things got better for me. Because things DO get better. and today I was in a position to stand up not only for myself, but for every LGBTQIA person that she knows (even if she doesn't know that they are). And every person who sees that conversation, now knows that SOMEONE will stand up, even if they can't right now.

---------- Post added 29th Jun 2015 at 02:47 AM ----------

Honestly, I think the best part is where she said that same-sex marriage is as morally wrong as bigotry.... I think she meant bigamy, but as I'd already educated her as to the difference between the two... that pretty ironic don't ya think?

12. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol bigotry, that made me laugh so hard! XD what an absolute perfect slip up!

13. Xander27

I know right? I think that's what got me past being super sad and trying not to cry and to being sad for her but laughing my ass off

14. wasgij

I really do think Freudian slips are hidden parts of our mind trying to tell us something :roflmao:

15. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You should definitely point of that those arguments are flawed. Another common argument is that it will pave the way for bestiality. These arguments are invalid; in an animal/human relationship the animal cannot consent obviously, nor can a child legally. These both entail one sexually dominant individual taking advantage of another which is not acceptable. You get the idea. This person is just ill-informed and they are trying to use shock value to persuade others to side with their opinion.

16. Schloss

Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't be afraid to show your opinion, or else they'll become louder. Make it a clear point that you disagree with what she said, and call her our on her bigotry. I've done so as well, on close family members who live in a VERY conservative country. They want to shame us, just play the same game and relay it back onto them.