1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

making new friends...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Houdini, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Houdini

Hi,

At the moment I am trying to come to terms with the possiblity of me being bi or gay. I don't have really close friends and I don't have any gay friends. But I kind of want to get to know new people and talk with people who know what I am going through and could help me.
    I am not ready to start dating yet so dating sites are out of the question for me. But I am really shy, self-conscious and I am a bit embarrassed going places on my own.
    Does anyone have any suggestions how to get to know lgbt people in an unforced enviroment?

2. Still Me

My suggestion would be to see if there is a Gay/Straight alliance or another LGBT group near you that you can attend. I was really scared to come out to people because I procrastinated and ended up in college before I got over the whole denial stage. I went did some research and found a GSA group at my school. When I went, I saw one of my best friends there! She was really cool about it and helped me adjust. The group was very small and has since been absorbed into a different organization, but it was very helpful. I didn't make too many close friends, but it was a real confidence boost that encouraged me to be myself.

3. Houdini

I guess I am kind of afraid of going there alone. I know all people are there for a similar reason but I hardly ever go anywhere alone. And I don't really have those kinds of friends I could drag with me...