1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Should I Take This?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Contact1111, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have already talked to them about my sexuality (male bi/not clearly definable) in the past, but I may not have really fully said I was 100% sure. Last night, I talked with my Mom about it more fully, and I just got the feeling that she was judging me about it. She was saying that she accepted it, but that she "wasn't exactly happy about it". She also started saying how she associated what I was saying with promiscuity and that it wouldn't lend itself to being able to be in a monogamous relationship (which I don't think is true). She also said that she felt that I had to "pick one or the other". Then, she started saying that if I was living with them that she didn't want me living some sort of "alternative" lifestyle (whatever that means?), but that she wouldn't have a problem with whatever if I was on my own. Then, the conversation turned to her doubting what I was telling her by saying that since I haven't had much experience that I wouldn't really be able to know this (I definitely do know this, pretty much for 100% certain).

Then, she did also say that she still loves me despite this and that I would always be just as much of family. She said that no matter what we would always have a "close" relationship. She made it clear that she wanted to be in my life, no matter what my sexuality is. It certainly wasn't like she was saying that this would make her avoid me/turn her back on me. She just seemed to be spouting a lot of misconceptions and judgmental ideas.

Interestingly, she also seemed to have a different view of someone just being purely gay. Oddly, she seemed slightly more understanding of this. She said that the idea of me being gay made her uncomfortable, but she felt she could get used to it. She seemed to think that bi=promiscuous/non-committing (a sadly common misconception) and that she really couldn't get used to that.

I was up most of last night and had to take Benadryl to get to sleep. This conversation just kind of haunted me. I have always been really sensitive about my sexuality, and was simply too terrified to even broach the subject for years. The idea seemed too scary, especially since my parents have a way of being somewhat judgmental of people for various reasons at times.

The thing is I talked with them the next day and it seemed like things may have smoothed out. I explained to them that I am not the type of person who would be promiscuous. I think that's just a stereotype of people who are undefined in their sexuality. I could definitely see myself remaining fully committed to a woman (or possibly a man) at some point. They seemed to understand this and seemed to be acting more accepting of it all after I talked with them about this

2. Juli

Though I now call myself a lesbian, when I was first coming out, I told people I was bi (sorry). I got a lot of the same stuff. Though I specifically asked people in my life to call me bi, my stepdad called me a lesbian. Not because he knew or even suspected but because "If you like vag, you like vag". A close friend of the family said I'd "have to pick a team eventually" because according to her, you can't have it both ways. Her ignorance was by far easier to del with, because I could explain to her that picking a person for a monogamous relationship wouldn't mean my other attractions just flew out the window... I guess what you should do is try and explain your situation to your mother objectively. Use logic, because a lot of the things you've mentioned can be explained. If that doesn't work, give it time. It may well sort itself out in the end.