1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "first" first date. Advice?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Cubxu, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Cubxu

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, I finally plucked up the courage to go and meet a guy for a date. It's safe to say that I'm excited. We are going bowling at a local place, and while I am extremely excited, I want to have some advice. This is the first date I've ever had with a guy, and I'm a bit sloppy at dating in general (literally had a couple of girl dates last year and basically nothing before then). What's some great tips you've got for someone who is probably going to get extremely nervous when I get there? Any advice is appreciated GREATLY!!!!!!! (*hug*)

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The best advice will only sound like cliches - be yourself, relax, enjoy the night, etc. etc. But, there's a lot of truth in all of them.

Some random thoughts, in no particular order of importance and that you may or may not find helpful: don't prep yourself too much. Look nice, sure, but don't buy a whole new outfit. Wear at least one thing that you've been wearing all day, even if just socks. On the other hand, plan a couple of ideas for if things go well - places to go to eat, somewhere to just wander and talk, maybe somewhere semi-private (but not like an alleyway or anything, cause that would be weird :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

And of course, safety-wise, tell at least one person your general plan, where you'll be, etc. Chances are low that it will turn out to be necessary, of course, but you never know and it's good to have that backup just in case!

3. robclem21

I'll just add a bit here.

-Regarding clothing, I agree look nice, but also be comfortable. You will already be anxious and wearing clothing that makes you uptight will only add to the discomfort.

-Remember that he is trying to impress you as much as you are trying to impress him, so there is never a situation on a first date where you should feel that you are the one on the spot.

-Maybe think of a few main points that you are interested in getting to know about him and have a few questions in mind, but also don't over-prepare because we all know things never go entirely as planned. Don't worry about small bits of silence. They are totally okay and will only become awkward if you make them such.

-Have fun for sure.Enjoy the night. If you are relaxed, the other person will be as well and it will make it all the more easy-going.

4. Cubxu

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks for the advice guys :icon_bigg. An hour away. Nervous, but excited. Wish me luck!!!! (*hug*)

5. whattodoii

in the back of my closet, with one friend :)
    Good luck and have fun!

6. Nekobi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Goos luck! (*^-‘) 乃

7. Cubxu

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    ...well that could have gone better, considering we completely missed each other and thought we'd stood each other up :/

But hey! He's still up for another date so I guess it's only a minor setback :icon_bigg

8. whattodoii

in the back of my closet, with one friend :)
    Aw, that's really shitty, but it's a good thing he wants to go on another date :slight_smile: