1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forgetting about that special someone (Moving on)

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Jax12, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I asked about something similar a while ago, but the feelings come back and I keep getting panic attacks. I want to move on and forget about this person, and I know with time things will get better. Any tips for the time being?

2. Closeteer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This might sound beautifully wacky but would something symbolic help? Like putting any stuff related to him in a box, locking it shut, and putting it way back in the cupboard or something? Also, removing all messages/pictures might help though it may be hard for you to do so! It just makes it easier to resist the temptation to go and revisit the past over and over again.
    Again, maybe this is a "childish" suggestion, but if it works for you, no harm trying :slight_smile:

3. McShuggles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Closeteer brings up a good point. It can sometimes be very helpful to do what Closeteer suggested. I would also go so far to suggest maybe trying to get back on to the dating scene if you feel you are ready for it; one thing that can truly get you over a person is knowing there is someone else. Or just pass the time being productive, i.e going out with friends, partake in any hobbies you have, just generally keeping your mind active and preoccupied. It's really hard to get over someone you loved, I've been there before too, but like you said: time is the best healer.

4. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thirding Closeteer's suggestion. The more things you have around that remind you of this person, the more you'll think of them. You don't need to get rid of things if you don't want to - just put them where you won't see them every day.

And, taking the spirit of that further - if there are places that remind you strongly of them, don't go there. Find new places, new routines.

Overall, if you want to move your thoughts past this person, move other things as well. Your thoughts will follow, providing that you don't make a point of thinking about them or give yourself reasons/ways to remember them frequently. :slight_smile:

5. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it. It's really hard to forget him. It's been a couple months now and a small reminder of him will instantly trigger my panic attacks.

With time I suppose, it'll get better. Thanks again.