1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I move on like this

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by warthog, Jul 2, 2015.

1. warthog

Hi guys,

As some of you may know I am trying to get over someone, with whom i've had a weird relationship for nearly 5 years. It's a lot to handle but i'm trying my best.
    The thing is we live basically on the same street, and as part of getting over someone is trying to forget them, it's very hard when I am in danger of seeing him every time I go out to my car for example. I can't take seeing him, and moving is not an option atm. what can a guy do ?
    Furthermore we are family friends, and his parents adore me and they can't fathom why i'm avoiding coming to their house, whereas in the past i'm practically there daily.
    It's an awkward and exhausting situation and I just want it to stop... jeeese :***:

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm...usually the thing to do is to stop giving yourself reminders of them, but if they're on the same street and it's really difficult not to see them every day...that could be tough.

Obviously, not going over to his house (and not having him over to yours) is a good start - being clear with him/each other about whose territory is whose, and where each of you need to feel safe and like you have control, is important.

As odd as it sounds, maybe you could kind of "take control" of your house, even lawn, more? Redo something - put some kind of feature or statue in the lawn, change something in the house, so on and so on. Make it new, make it different than it was during the last 5 years. You might still have the reminder of seeing him down the street, but that doesn't mean everything else in your life has to stay the same, right?

3. warthog

We're not on speaking terms so having him over and having a talk on territory is out of the question anyway. And your suggestion on doing something to the house is very good, I know a couple of things that could use a fixer-upper. a distraction is indeed what I need.