1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents are Transphobic

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by IFoundAWay, Jul 4, 2015.

1. IFoundAWay

Out Status:
    A few people
    I tried to explain to my parents the different transexual... whats the word... orientations? But they still don't get it. They say no part of transgender exists. That if you're a girl thats that. But how can they say that when they see me dress as a boy? See me dress as a girl? See me wear dressy skirts with combat boots? Like I don't understand and it makes it really difficult to talk to them about it all. Any advice?

2. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, they probably won't change their minds until they are willing to truly listen to your side of things. Make it clear to them that you want to talk through this with them, but that if they aren't going to take you seriously, there can't be any meaningful discussion.

If they refuse to listen, you may have to stop trying to get through to them. You may have to live your life without their approval.

I hope things work out. My parents are the same way, and it sucks. No one deserves to face rejection just for being themselves.