1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Partner doesn't want to share.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by StanOWar, Jul 6, 2015.

1. StanOWar

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Exactly what it says on the tin. My partner and I have been together for almost three years now(yay!) and when I came out to them(as genderfluid) their response was coming out to me(as agender/questioning). Thing is even though this is something we're going through at the same time and more or less at the same stages, they really don't want to talk with me about it.

You see they aren't the kind of person that talks things out. Communication is difficult for them(always has been) and its been a constant struggle in our relationship. We've figured out ways to make it work.

The problem is I never know at what point it becomes prying too much on the topic of gender. I'm having a hard time finding the line between what I should know as their partner and what is asking too much of them. I want to understand them, but not at the expense of their discovery.

What are some ways I could find that line? Any ideas on how my partner and I can talk about this without hindering them? How do I know if I'm asking too much?

2. bi2me

If you are dating for a long time, I imagine it would be hard to have your partner not wanting to share. My husband doesn't always want to go over my sexuality stuff with me, which is part of why I'm on here. You might want to just let them know how you feel about both the gender bit and the lack of communication, and let them know you are always there to talk/listen as soon as they are ready, but that you also understand that some of the processing might need to be internal. You can also share the EC website if you are willing to go there. :slight_smile:

3. StanOWar

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks. I feel a little better knowing other people can struggle talking about this stuff too.(I don't get on much that's why the late reply.) I ended up telling my partner that I just wanted them to know that I love them and I love that they're transgender and to just talk to me when they are ready, and they ended up talking to me a bout it a little so maybe I was afraid for nothing. Anyway thanks again.