1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When to put an end to straight crushes?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by BiKate, Jul 11, 2015.

1. BiKate

So I know straight crushes are the worst for everyone.
    I'm currently having my first crush on a girl since realizing I'm bi. I mean I had little crushes without recognizing what they were, but this is a big one. I'm not 100% sure she's straight but considering she has a kid and hasn't indicated she's into women, I'm assuming she's straight. And even if she wasn't, she's old enough to be my mother. I've never felt like this for somebody that much older than me, but I realize a relationship with her just wouldn't work no matter how much I delude myself. And I work with her.

I know I should be trying to get over her. But I enjoy crushing on her. She's so beautiful, and has the most amazing smile. We get on really well and I actually enjoy deluding myself into thinking she feels the same way about me. Just seeing her brightens my day up more than anything, and she makes work so much better. I'm always daydreaming about spending time with her and being in a relationship with her. I get all excited with butterflies and all that when I'm around her and I swear she must notice that I act different around her.
    I know that must sound unhealthy.

But my question is, if I enjoy crushing on her and realistically know that nothings really going to come out of it, is it ok to keep letting myself feel this way until it eventually fizzles out? Or should I be trying to stop it as much as I can now, in case I end up getting hurt down the line?
    How do you guys deal with straight crushes?

#1 BiKate, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  2. Lyana

If you know nothing's going to happen, and you're not hell-bent on trying anyway, and you're not closing yourself off to everything else... It's okay. Straight crushes, unrequited crushes, they actually are pleasant and they don't have to be a torture if you don't obsess over what can never be. If you honestly accept it isn't going to happen, there should be no harm.
    I developed a crush on my best friend in high school, then fell in love with him. I kept those feelings for 3 years, not being interested in anyone else, and nothing bad happened even though he was gay. We had a great friendship, I never tried anything, and I wasn't miserable. It faded when we went to uni.

So if it isn't hurting you, then you don't have to try to suppress the crush. It's hard to do, anyway.

3. BiKate

Okay thank you for that! I was just worried maybe it was unhealthy for me. But it's been great for my work life, I feel like I've been 10x more productive having her around :')