1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't like pretending to be someone I'm not!!!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by rhapsodic, Jul 11, 2015.

1. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to start by saying that I understand that religion can be uplifting and empowering for many people, and if that applies to you, then I have no problem with that. If it makes you happy, then go for it. Personally though, I have found religion to be more confining than uplifting, which is why, after many years of confusion and existential crises, I have concluded that religion is not for me and that I am an atheist (I consider myself a freethinker/humanist, but I'm not going to get into that right now).

Anyway, tomorrow, my grandparents are forcing me to go to church, which I am not comfortable with. They are extremely conservative Catholics and think I'm catholic too (and would probably freak out if I told them otherwise, so my only option is to suck it up and pretend to be catholic for an hour. I'm feeling really frustrated about being forced to pray and participate in mass though, and I'm sick of having to pretend to be someone I'm not to please other people.:icon_sad: I already have to deal with hiding my sexuality, and now this…

I feel like the quote in my signature is pretty ironic. As much as I want to live by it, I don't think it's going to work out this time. :help:

2. Posthuman666

Hi. I was in a similiar situation. I was raised on conservative Catholicism and I hated it. I didn't get it, I didn't like it, and I sure didn't worship this god. Eventually I became comfortable enough with myself to leave the church. It was pretty great. I started looking around because as much as I despised being catholic and how much it hurt me, I still felt kinda comfortable in a religion. I did some research, and stumbled upon Heathenry, germanic paganism. Im not saying by any means you should be a heathen, or be a part of any religion, if you don't believe in it. Even being religious, I agree with most of the atheist ideas of seperation of church and state, and science being very important. Anyways, I got into Heathenry and I feel great. You shouldn't have to hide who you are, and a service when you are not a believer.

Moral of the story, it really sucks having to hide who you are, religiously and sexually. Just keep on keeping on. Just remember that even though you are going to church, your still not catholic. You are still you, and no service will ever change that.

3. mangotree

What would happen if you just went along to church to listen to the sermon and the music for an hour? (which can be interesting sometimes)