1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about a guy I'm kinda dating

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by TheMopPetal2, Jul 12, 2015.

1. TheMopPetal2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been dating this guy and we've gone on 3 dates thus far but he's been going through a hard time and our relationship has been on a rollercoaster ride recently because of it. He just text me for the first time in 2 weeks last Wednesday despite the fact that I've sent 3 or 4 texts to him within that 2 week hiatus. One of the last texts I sent him, I said I'm more than happy to take things slow if he needs to and that if he doesn't have feelings for me to tell me so I'll leave him alone but I never got a response until last Wednesday. On Wednesday he apologiesed for not texting me sooner and said that his phone broke and he had to wait for a new one to come in the mail. Although I don't completely believe that, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He was hurt pretty bad by his last boyfriend so he maybe nervous about getting into a relationship. In fact, we have known each other for almost 2 months and before we went on our first date he stood me up 3 or 4 times before we went on our first date and he told me the reason why he kept flaking on me is because he was afraid I'd be one of those guys who would tell him that I want a committed relationship but then I would either cut the date short or I'd try to have a one night stand with him. After I assured him that I'm not like those guys, his nerves eased up a lot and we started flirting more and it allowed us to go on those three dates.

I know that some ppl on here might be amazed and might be wondering why I've stuck with this guy like I have and why I keep giving him chances. The reason for this is because when we were dating, me and him connected so well that it felt like we were best friends years ago then we lost contact and then regained contact and we were just picking up where we left off. We both told each other things on the first date that not very many ppl know about us. I told him things about me that only two or 3 ppl in my family know about me. I could also tell that he was desperately trying to break his walls down on the first date because he got really bold and asked me if he could kiss me and I of course said yes and we kissed. It was a really romantic and cute moment for us. He was really shy that night so I could tell that was a really big step for him in the process of breaking down the walls. We both have never connectedwith anyone like me and him did and I'm not going to throw that connected feeling we both got away like its nothing just becauee he has insecurities that he's working on. I refuse to give up on him without putting up a good fight. Its very rare(specially for me and him) for ppl to have an amazing cinnection to one another like me and him did so thats why I keep giving him chances and thats why I refuse to give up on him without putting up a good fight.

I feel like if he doesn't have feelings for me he wouldn't have text me back let alone apologized and sent me smiley faces after our 2 week hiatus. If he didn't have feelings for me anymore he would've been perfectly fine not texting me or contacting me ever again. I gave him an opportunity to tell me that he doesn't want to date me anymore but he didn't take advantage of that opportunity. I feel like if he didn't like me he would've either continued to ignore me or he would've told me to leave him alone and stop texting him because its pretty annoying when someone you don't like won't stop texting you. I asked him if he wanted to hang out last thursday and he askrd me "what time" and I said after I get off work and he never replied back. Ive sent him a couple more texts since thursday but he hasn't replied to them yet. The texts I've sent him were just me telling him that I hope he has a good day amd good morning.

He has been going through a really rough time lately and he's been depressed. It seems like life is hitting him really hard right now and he's overwhelmed and that would explain his lack of posts on his social media profiles. He hasn't posted a new pic of himself on instagram in 6 days and thats not normal for him. He usually posts a new pic at least once every other day but his last pic was posted almost a week ago and the pic before that was posted almost 2 weeks ago. In his pics you can tell he's depressed just by looking at his eyes. I also know he's not playing games because he hasn't been on his dating profile(how we met) in almost a month.

Do you guys agree with me that he would've told me to go get lost or just kept ignoring me if he didn't have feelings for me anymore?

---------- Post added 12th Jul 2015 at 03:58 PM ----------

And what should I do about this situatio?

2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's the thing with wanting to help people: They have to want to change. If he isn't going to put in the effort to overcome his insecurities, then he's not going to. Relationships are a two-way street. It's clear to me that you're trying hard to make this work and he's not really trying at all.

I would back off a bit. Be a friend to him, but don't push for a relationship. The stress of a new relationship on top of anything else he's dealing with might be too much. He may not feel comfortable telling you that he needs space or he's not looking for the same thing as you.

3. TheMopPetal2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When we went on our first date, I could tell he was doing everything he could to break down his walls. One of the things he did was he asked me if he could kiss me. I know that took a lot of courage for him to just ask me that. He has tried really hard in the past to break down his walls and get past his insecurities but eventually they got the best of him again. I know he has it in him to get past all of this because he's proven to me that he does. His problem is that he keeps dwelling on his fears, his fears that our relationship will just end up like his last relationship, his fear of getting close to me, etc.

Its also not necessarily that I want to help him, I mean I do but he won't let me but the thing is that I have been broken just like him. I was hurt badly by one of my parents when I was a teenager. The love that one of my parents had for me was conditional. They only loved me if I was being the person THEY wanted me to be. My teenage life was spent chasing after the conditional love this person had for me and my teenagehood was spent constantly being let down by this person and because of that my self esteem was constantly in the toilet. I know what its like to have low self esteem and my self esteem was so low at one point that I had literally no friends and when someone did try to befriend me it felt like the only reason they wanted to be my friend is so they had someone they could make fun of. I know what this guy is going through and I know how bad it hurts. Thats why I have been way more patient with him than normal ppl would. That and I really care about him and I also love him.

I have definitely backed off but not completely. I feel like if I'm patient with him, he'll come around.

#3 TheMopPetal2, Jul 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015