1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone have experience dating this type of person?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by TheMopPetal2, Jul 13, 2015.

1. TheMopPetal2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone have experience dating and getting into a committed relationship with someone who was hurt in a past relationship and as a result has put up walls and was afraid of letting a significant other get too close out of fear that they'll get hurt all over again?

Have you been this person? How does one make it work with this type of person? What do you have to do to get this person to trust you and let you closer to their heart specially when they barely communicate with you anymore because they have their walls up so high?

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I haven't dated this person, but I have BEEN this person, and sadly these relationships usually don't last for that reason.

Have you actually tried talking to him and trying to show him that he can trust you?

3. GreenMan

GreenMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm that type of person. Spend more time together, let them get more comfortable with you. Talk a lot, share your secrets with them, build trust and comfort slowly. Work on pair bonding.

4. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

Gaining trust takes time. Be patient & let them warm up to you. Do things they enjoy. Talk about things they like & what they don't like; don't be judgemental. Carefully listen to what they say. Show them how you are worthy of gaining their trust by giving them consistency. Do not make the mistake of trying to pry them open & later on decide you are tired of them. They could be opening up to you but they won't show it.
    Maybe give them something that has high sentimental value to them. Something meaningful.

5. TheMopPetal2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well he texted me in the middle of the night last night outta the blue and we started flirting and things got kinda hot. I was going to go to his house but he never text me back when I tried confirming so I never went.

6. robotman

This is the best thing to do.

7. and323

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My current girlfriend was like this. We met almost a year ago and within the first week it was clear to me that she wasn't over her ex because she would constantly talk about it and she was extremely hurt by their breakup. I didn't want to mess with it so we stopped talking but a few months later we began talking again, slowly but surely. We became best friends and almost got close to dating again, but she told me she still wasn't ready and didn't want to commit if she didn't feel like she was 100% back. We remained best friends but went our separate ways dating-wise and saw other people, etc. When something didn't work out we were by each others side and always hanging out, strictly platonically.

Almost half a year went by before, this time super slowly, we became more intimate with each other. I let her initiate everything and we went at her pace, and since we were best friends it was easy to fall into place and we 100% trust each other. Now we're dating and it feels great, because it reassures me we're both at 100% and I finally know she's over everything in her past and can focus on us now.

Basically with someone like that it takes A LOT of time and trust and sticking with them. You better make sure they're worth it and you better be in it for the long haul!

8. TheMopPetal2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This guy is definitely worth it. I'm 24 new so I'm ultimately looking for a partner to settle down with and so is this guy. Based on the vibes I got from our first 3 dates, this guy is definitely a worthy candidate as a partner for me. Just gotta work through his insecurities.

He text me at 3am this morning and we started flirting again and it quickly progressed to sexual things but he still has walls up because he told me to come to his house and just before I was about to leave after I got ready I texted him to confirm that he was okay with it and I never got a text back so I didn't go. I texted him this afternoon and he still has yeg to text me back. He still hasnt been on his dating profile so I feel like he's not trying to get attention.

I did write kind of a love letter to him while I was at work the other day. I just wrote down how I feel about him on paper because it was kind of therapeutic to be able to write my feelings for him down and pretend like I was actually telling him how I felt about him face to face. Its nothung apecial, I'm not too good at transferring my thoughts to paper but it was the best attempt I could make at writing a love letter. Should I give it to him sometime soon or do y'all think that would be a little too much right now?

9. yes i have met this person and i have learned to drop them as soon as i see or meet them. we all have baggage but if you have so many walls up to protect you from being hurt, then there is no way for the other partner to win in that situation. you will only be frustrating yourself because everything you do will be a test to the other person that "yep, i was right, he's just like the rest of em." some people like this even play games to see how dedicated you are to trying to break down their walls. i do not have the time or the mental energy to dedicate to trying to deal with someone else's walls and baggage. until they decide to tear down their own walls, you'll never get their heart. you'll only be in this constant state of trying to prove your worthiness to them and that you're not like the others. if they are unwilling to budge, just drop them and move on to someone who is emotionally and spiritually ready for love. if not, you'll waste your time with these people.