1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm kind of in a bad place because of cutting...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Gentlady, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This summer I made a terrible decision and started cutting. I have told three of my friends, of whom one also cuts her wrists. Since I told them it's only gotten worse. I'm about to see another friend, but the problem is that... Well. It's summer, so there's no way I could be wearing a long-sleeved shirt for like 6h. And she has no idea I cut. I don't want her to know because then she would want to talk about it and I can't take it anymore. My cuts are barely bleeding, but the marks are visible on my skin. If you look closely, there's even the words "I'm broken"... I can only talk to one of my friends about it, he's the only one who doesn't start screaming "OMG NEVER DO THAT AGAIN TO YOURSELF THIS IS HORRIBLE" but stays calm. I need someone to talk to about it but there is no one except him. I mean that should be enough, but when I talk to him about it I start feeling really guilty because I know it probably hurts him more than myself...
    And I have no idea how to keep the scars hidden! Besides, now the marks are rather clear because surprise surprise, I last cut my arms less that two hours before making this post.
    I just don't know what to do...:help:

2. WildChild

Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds like you are really struggling with cutting and who to talk to about it. I used to carve things into my arms and legs, and it took a while for me to feel comfortable sharing with anyone, as it is a really personal thing. For me it was the most helpful to find a counselor who understood, and didn't just do the whole OMG DONT DO THAT reaction that you mentioned. I asked my parents if I could talk to someone about friend stuff, and since I wasn't suicidal my counselor didn't tell my parents about the cutting. Now I'm able to go and just yell all of the things on my mind or find another outlet if my counselor is unavailable at the time, but it took a while. I know it can be really difficult and scary to even trust a counselor sometimes, but when you find one that really works with you and your personalities are a good match it can be extremely helpful, at least for me it was. You know your situation best, but maybe it would be a helpful thing for you too.

3. Spacewalker

I guess you know it's not good to continue and won't make things better. I myself have struggled with self harm but stopped. The key is to get to the core of why you're hurting yourself and starting there.
    To your question how you can hide it: long sleeves (even when it's summer, maybe buy some rly thin but not transparent shirt etc.), make up maybe if it covers the marks. Stopping will help the most (but I know that's no help at all).
    If you ever want to talk about it, you can always hit me up, I'm serious with that!!
    Sometimes talking about it helps a very lot.

4. starm

You can stop cutting and it will heal. Should you see a council(therapist) for it?

5. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for your answers. I'm starting therapy next month to try and stop. That will also be the first time I come out to an adult about my gender, so I suppose the stress is making me feel worse. And tomorrow will be the first time I'll show my scars to anyone. Just the thought of it makes me want to do it more but I don't wanna scare him so I'll just let my scars heal.

6. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Hi.

It's good that you are seeing a therepist. You're doing yourself a service by going there.

Could an arm sweatband work to cover yours scars up?

Also, a line from a song popped into my head - "you are not your skin."
    Your friend might be worried and surpised or shocked, but you can just tell him that you're not feeling very good and hopefully he'll be nice to you.

Feel free to send me a wall message if you ever just need to vent somehere.

7. Posthuman666

I was addicted to self harm and have cut myself thousands of times. It is not a fun thing, and it is hard to stop.

But you have to. You are a beautiful individual and cutting yourself doesn't help anything. You need to be strong. Please don't hurt yourself.

As for covering scars up, I lot of people use concealer to hide scars, but I've never used it before.

8. souverian

I've heard that it helps some people to use a marker (like a sharpie or a highlighter or something) instead and draw on themselves. It might not be the same, but it is a functional analog. Maybe you'd be willing to try that out?

9. bi2me

I saw this post, and I was wondering how you are doing. Have you started with your new therapist? How was it?

10. Haadriv

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I used to indulge in self harm as a teenager as well and it took me about ten years to talk about it and not lie about the marks.. For starters know and understand that a lot of shame is pinned to such behaviors which is why revealing them can be really embarrassing.. So even i struggled with embracing the idea of that I did harm myself..yes there are situational reasons but I could never understand the real reason while I was growing up.. I was always embaressed.. Till I found out that your body produces endorphins when u physically cut ur skin, they are supposed to reduce pain and they also make u feel good.. Which is why most people use it as a coping mechanism to feeling emotional pain.. It can turn into an addiction and if it has please don't think of urself as bad or faulty or any less than anything understand the whole.mechanism of how this works..its great ur seeking professional help I hope it is a comforting experience for you :slight_smile:

11. ScaryClosets

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've had similar problems. Though, my friend did this to me instead. He started to cut himself and text me some really horrible things. He also used to send me pictures of the cuts and told me the best way to cut. I kept trying to make him feel better, but he never did. Everything I tried made him worse. I hate to see another friend go through this pain. Though, he was doing it for attention, but you aren't. You wanted to stop it, and he couldn't. He said he would stop for me, but he never did. It was hard for him, and I understood that. He was my best friend and he did all of this stuff. It was very hard to try to stay by his side, it really was. Though, he kept pulling me down into the dark with him. Our conversations always started off like this, Friend: "Hey how are you?"
    Me: "Good. You?"
    Friend: "I'm not so good. I feel really down and stuff. I know I promised not to cut, but I did again. I feel like the whole world is broken and we are all just not real."
    Me: "Dude, I just. *sigh* You really need to stop. This is really worrying me.
    Friend: "I'll try, but it's really hard."
    Me: "I know, but please stop. Please."
    Anyway, it was really horrible. How did I know he was doing it for attention? He would always send me pictures and tell me how great cutting was. He also kept going on and going on about this kind of stuff. I just had to try to ignore it all, because it was too much. Whenever he got dumped(which was frequent. He had a girlfriend like every week), he would tell me where he had cut himself. He even asked me if I wanted to know. I would tell him no that I didn't want to know, but he kept at it. Please don't become what my friend had become. It's very depressing, and it brought me down and my other friends as well. I'm very happy that you're going to go see a therapist. At least you're doing something about it.

12. arkhalis

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I feel for you mate. When i was in school i nearly commit suicide. I still dont know what made me put the knife down.

13. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you all so much for your replies. You're leaving me kinda speechless here, you're all so kind.
    I haven't started therapy yet, but one thing has changed. I wear short sleeves at school, I don't even try to hide my scars. Why? Because I want people to know what happens when you keep stuff to yourself until you break. I wanna share what I've been through because if that helps even one person, I've achieved something big. My teachers are worried of course, but I'm about to see a therapist and a school counselor so things are headed for a better direction. Nobody bullies me at school, they never say anything. One girl told me she thought one of the scars(in the shape of a heart) was beautiful but she wishes it had been drawn with a marker instead of a blade. People don't treat me that differently than before. I do get some looks but that was to be expected, there's no one else walking around with scars up and down their arms so yeah the difference has been noticed.

14. bi2me

That sounds like a really powerful message to send/receive with your peers.

15. Phioo

Phioo Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Ahhh that's good to hear.
    Keep going like this and things will only get better.

16. arkhalis

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    That has touched me inside. After being through 4 years of bullying, depression, cancer, bipolar and nesrly commiting suicide i have began a similar quest to let people know my story and to stop them falling to the same fate as i did. I will expendure my whole life doing it. But it us good to see someone who is willing to help too. Good luck, and im proud of you.

17. Haadriv

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That's a great start to owning your problem and being brave enough to take it in public with a beautiful intention