1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to go about finding gay friends or relationships in college?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Celatus, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay so this fall I'm going to be attending a nice, large liberal arts college away from home. I know they have an lgbt group but I'm not sure what to expect. How do you go about finding gay friends? I don't really have a problem making friends with new people regardless of orientation, but I'm curious how people go about dating or just finding like minded gay friends in college. I haven't had much experience with dating in high school because I live in a rather conservative area. Also I don't appear to be stereotypically gay, so many people didn't know about my orientation. I guess I'm also wondering how any of you found a partner in college. It feels kind of lonely being gay :/ Any suggestions?

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If your college is anything like mine, there will be a lot of obvious gay guys there, which also means there's plenty of not obvious ones (like yourself) there too. If you see some in class, just get to be friends with them.

About being lonely -
    My suggestion is that you find a great group of friends that will make you forget about feeling lonely. Just enjoy yourself until you find a boyfriend.

You're gonna be fine, dude. You're a handsome guy.

3. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with TJ. Just find an LGBT group on your campus if they have one.

As far as in classes, you don't have to broadcast your sexuality but don't avoid it either. I know you are quietly gay, but that doesn't mean you can't find someone. If you get to crushing on someone, drop hints. :slight_smile: You don't know until you try, and your generation is a lot more accepting than mine was.

4. if you are comfortable with yourself the best thing you can do it join an LGBT group at your college. start off gay from the start so you do not have to backtrack and come out of the closet allover again in college. the gay group will be very helpful to make friends. and you're going to a liberal arts school, so there will be tons of gays, bis, downlow gays that want to experiment and everything else there. but i would suggest just going to the lbgt group and seeing making friends.

5. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aw thanks man :love: And that sounds good, I appreciate the advice!