1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sapiosexual and easily turned off.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Chromedome, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Does anyone else get really thrown off when someone's personality and tastes don't match yours? Do you also have really silly pet peeves and dealbreakers? I lost interest in a guy because he never heard of Hilary Duff, and he's 18 so age was no excuse.

2. guitar

Would it count if I wished I had never heard of Hillary Duff? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But in all seriousness, a personality clash can cause major issues in a relationship or even just in a hookup type situation if the clash is bad enough.

If I had to have my musical tastes allign that much I would die single. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *Everyone*... as in every single person who has any sort of attraction, finds their attraction impacted by a variety of factors... common interests, personality, openness to physical displays of affection (hugs), intellect, appearance, most everything else.

And at a certain point, most everyone has certain dealbreakers that mean the relationship isn't going to work for them. It could be differences in tastes, clothes, music, food... use or non-use of drugs or alcohol... many things.

This is really, really common and certainly not a sexual orientation.

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Everyone has their taste. We all have turn-ons, things we wouldn't normally like but can deal with them with the right person, and things that are deal-breakers no matter who the person is.

With that said I personally wouldn't go that far. I mean I don't even like Hilary Duff, she sucks in all honesty : P

5. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, but perhaps the turnoff isn't an issue so much as how often it happens that bothers you? Is it a consistent problem for you?

6. fern96

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure sapiosexuality is an orientation. Most people seek a mental and emotional connection. And disliking someone for having not heard of someone feels more related to personal elitism than an actual sexuality.

But to answer your question...yes, I have pet peeves that irritate me. Consistent playing of the devil's advocate (I feel like this is a legitimate qualm; it begins to feel like they're not really 'playing' at all and instead simply ARE the devil's advocate) is one. A pettier one is someone with poor table manners (slurping puts me off).

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If sapiosexuality is really about prioritizing intelligence, then that is something internal (like IQ), not random trivia about a certain celebrity. As others have mentioned, there will always be differences in backgrounds and experiences, so having a narrow definition of what is acceptable is going to limit your options. Everyone you meet knows something you don't.

8. thepandaboss

Honestly, I thought sapiosexual was just a joke term. Literally everyone's like that. They want to have a partner they can have a conversation with and that usually means some common ground with interests. I don't think many people are...whatever the opposite of sapiosexual is. Trophy-wife-a-sexual?

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not convinced that I believe in sapiosexuality. I just don't want to have a relationship with people who are morons.

Like that guy in third year computer science who I thought was hot until he was like "wow, arrays are hard."

~ Adrienne

10. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah it is, I'm just really shy but also selective because people try to take advantage of me, which means its hard to get me to talk to someone and stay interested too.

---------- Post added 21st Jul 2015 at 07:53 PM ----------

He also has orange highlights and speaks in Ebonics

11. thepandaboss

Forgive me for asking but how does having orange high lights or speaking in Ebonics make you dumb? That's just normal for a guy his age...

12. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Doesn't make him dumb I just didn't like it, it not in my authority to tell people what to do.

13. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't know what sapiosexuality was before this post, but I don't think it should be counted a sexual orientation based on what I read. This isn't about what gender/sex you go for, this is about the type of people.