1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting the Parents - Super Nervous

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by SecretColor, Jul 21, 2015.

1. SecretColor

From St. Louis, MO; go to school in Philly
    Ok, so I guess this is more of a venting/rant than a question, but I'm meeting my boyfriend's parents on the weekend of his birthday, which is August 8-9, when they come to Philadelphia. Our relationship is fairly new (we started dating at the beginning of April and made it official at the beginning of May) and things are great, AND he's already met some of my family --spoilers: they really liked him and ask about him all the time--so I dunno why I'm nervous.

Meeting your genderfriend's parents is a big step, plus I have a tiny amount of social anxiety, but these are the people who came together to produce my boyfriend, and he likes me so they probably will too. I'm just so damn nervous.

2. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All I can say is to keep confident and calm. I'm sure your boyfriend has said all kinds of nice things about you to them, so I'm sure you'll be fine :slight_smile:

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe you could ask him about his parents before they arrive, and it's great if you have some common interests to discuss. Just be open, and they will understand being nervous. Good luck!

4. Phoenix87

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    All I can say is be confident, smile and take a genuine interest in them. When I met my girlfriend's parents they didn't even look me in the eye or shake my hand but instead of letting it get me down I felt really sorry for them.