1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Younger siblings don't understand being gay, and I'm not allowed to correct them

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by DreamerBoy17, Jul 21, 2015.

1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This has really been frustrating me lately. I have a brother, who's 9, and another sister who is 6. My parents aren't homophobic so to speak, but they tend to let out a lot of snide comments about gay and transgender people from time to time. So they've picked up on this behavior from my parents and they think anyone not straight is a joke. It's hurtful to me to see them being raised the way I was: having no respect for LGBT people. In so many of these cases, I'd love to just explain things to my siblings in a simple manner so they understand that being a different sexuality is ok. But most of the time one of my parents are nearby, so I'm afraid they wouldn't want me doing that. Here's some examples so you see what I mean:

My two male cats, Bear and Trixie, were sitting on the table, and I said to the 6 year old, "wouldnt they have adorable kittens?" And she giggled and said, "then they would be gay, and gay people can't get married." I had to then clumsily back out of the conversation and say I was being hypothetical.

One of the worst, though, was at the skating rink. There was a trans woman there that didn't completely pass, and I got to hear about it in the car from my own mom, who fully supports me. It was along the lines of, "did you see that man pretending to be a lady? Something's not right there." My siblings in the back seat started cracking up and I was just like :help:

Sorry for the rant, I just hate to see my younger siblings growing up in this hateful environment where I can't lift a finger.

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's tough, but one thing you might do is teach your siblings to treat everyone with respect and not make fun of them. With young kids, you can sometimes reason with them "that's not a nice thing to say about so-and-so". Also, how can your mom fully support you yet say snide comments? Have you tried talking to her about it? It might be tough, but do you think she would go to resources like PFLAG to help her be more understanding about LGBT issues?

3. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You could try talking to your parents about it first.

Tell them that this is making you uncomfortable. If they do support you, then I don't I see why they couldn't understand where you're coming from.

I never grew up with younger siblings and never said anything about LGBT people, so I can't really relate, but I can see how this could be a real downer.

4. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ouch, sounds like you might just have to have a family meeting. Hating on a trans lady? No, that simply does not happen. Let me grab my sword. *prepares to attack haters* Let me know if my services are needed.

5. LizSibling13

LizSibling13 Guest

I'm glad my parents are fine with me and Liz being MtF. My younger siblings are growing up with the fact that people can be straight, gay, bi, asexual, Transsexual or whathaveyou... :slight_smile:

6. cibi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yeah that sucks , my friends make fun of me for being gay and I really don't give a f***, but I remember when I came out to my mum she just laughed at me which felt really bad.
    We expect our own parents would be understanding at least but sadly that's not always the case. I think it's important for us to be understanding with them which sounds illogical i know but taking the moral highway could show a good example for family and friends.