1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I be OK with this?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Apollonia, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Apollonia

I am in the stage of figuring out my sexuality. Well I say figuring out because I haven't had sex with a woman but I know that I have attraction to them so at the moment I identify as bisexual.

For the past years I have been with a man, we broke up some months ago. One of the reasons for it was that our sex drives were extremely different; mine quite low and his excessively high. This in the course of years led to a situation where I felt my sexuality was somehow faulty (for not wanting to have sex every day or preferably even more) and I developed an attitude towards sex that it is something I have to want (because I wanted him to be happy). In addition to this I never got much out of it, it was sometimes nice but more often than not I just wanted it to be done.

This probably sounds horrible when I write it like this but apart from that our relationship was very good, and he is one of the most important people I have ever had in my life. It was largely due to my own account that the situation got as bad as it did because I never really voiced these feelings to him; I never said sex is such a chore for me.

At the same time I started to realize that the knowledge I had always had in the back of my head, that I could be into girls as well, started to become stronger to the point that I fell for a female friend of mine. This wasn't a reason why we broke up though.

However we have slowly got back together and I have been more able to voice myself, how I feel about (straight) sex and how reluctant I am ever again to put myself back into a position where I sometimes cried in the bathroom after sex. He gets this but loves me enough to want to find a way for us to be together, however as he has the right to his sexuality as I have to mine, one possibility has been us sharing a third partner (ie a girl). Not as a threesome scenario but so as to try to find someone we would both like and could express our sexuality with - me with a woman and he I guess just more sex than what I want to have.

And in theory I think it could be possible, but practice is another matter. I don't know how to feel about sharing him with someone else, and I don't know if I could share myself with more than one person at the time. Not to mention I am still to have sex with a woman in the first place, so I don't even know how I will feel about it. Maybe I am lesbian? Or maybe I just have super low sex drive?

There is just so many questions. But the biggest one is should I be OK with this kind of arrangement? If I can't then there is no point for me and him to try to be together, we are too far off on the chart from each other.

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry you're having sexual incompatibilities, and it's good you have told your "ex" about how you feel. "Should I be OK?" is a hard thing to answer because it depends on the people involved. There are definitely examples of successful polyamorous relationships, and they often depend on honest communication. Have you thought about having another break from your ex and dating women on your own?