1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Different Race Relationship and Racist Parents...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by bipride, Jul 22, 2015.

1. bipride

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The title says it all: I have been in a different-race same-sex relationship for a month or so now and my parents are not exactly liberal when it comes to people of different races.

I HATE racists, with a passion! And at times I've wanted to smack my parents around the face with what they come out with, but this has got to stop!

I've got to tell then about my partner at some time, but have no idea what to expect!

Please help.

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try to not make it a big deal for yourself, or you're letting your parents' bigotry infect how you view your relationship. Perhaps it would be easiest if you just showed them a picture of you and your boyfriend. Try to nip in the bud any negative complaints, and give consequences for their actions (like making them understand what was said was prejudiced). Racism is rooted in ignorance, and changing your parents' behavior will take time. Try to just monitor their interactions with your boyfriend, and discuss with him if he ever feels uncomfortable so you can try to work out a solution (and maybe apology).

3. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Racism just makes things complicated and devides people from working together, its also ignorant and lazy because if you judge people so superficially anyone of your preferred can fool you into thinking they're a good personperson if you assume they are better than the other.

4. do they know you're bi?
    so if so, they can accept your bi-ness but not someone of a different race?

well they may never accept who you date, but hopefulliy they respect your choices.