1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too Young?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Chrystina, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Chrystina

Chrystina Guest

I'm a female questioning my sexuality, and I overheard my mom talking about how "It is a shame that children are making such a big decision about their sexuality at a young age." And my moms Fiance say, "They are basically ruining their lives!" They went on and on about the topic. Do you think that I'm too young? I've always believed that sexuality was not a choice, so when you notice you are of a different sexuality could happen at any age. But after hearing that come out of my own mother's mouth, I'm kinda confused...

2. BENTLEY

No such thing as too young or too old, to discover your sexuality or gender identity. You're fine <3 Your parents sound pretty homophobic and old fashioned? I hate it when people use the excuse "but you're too young!", as if they weren't pushing heterosexuality onto their children since they're basically born.

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If a six-year-old boy said he liked a girl in his grade, they wouldn't tell him he was too young to know he likes girls.

4. Manitoban

I might be in the minority here but I would say that at an early age there is a greater chance of there being confusion due to horomones. Can you be gay/lesbian/bi/trans by age 13? Absolutely,of course you can. However there is also that uncontrollable puberty factor messing with you.

I do think its perfectly okay however to say that you like girls or boys or both at any age. Just maybe leave the door open for other possibilities down the road when things settle more. (which may never happen but for most it does)

My two cents :slight_smile:

5. Chrystina

Chrystina Guest

Thank you so much, Bentley <3 that simple post made me really happy :grin:. And, Yes. I've never really talked to my parents about their opinions on the LGBTIQA community, but I've overheard some things, I just ignore most of them.

6. BENTLEY

Whoop, there it is.

And you're welcome, Chrystina <3 But like, I know what it feels like to have an anti-LGTBQIAP+ family, and it'll become more complicated as you grow, but trust me, it will get better, once you're able to move out and be free. So always keep that in mind. It won't be easy, but it'll be worth it in the end.

7. Chrystina

Chrystina Guest

Thanks again Bentley :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 23rd Jul 2015 at 07:19 PM ----------

Shots both fired and received hahaha :lol:

---------- Post added 23rd Jul 2015 at 07:30 PM ----------

Thanks for the response :slight_smile: I definitely see where you are coming from, Now I know not to be too rash, I might end up regretting acting upon feelings without thinking it through.

Again Thanks - Chrystina :icon_bigg

8. sierpinski

Great answer.

I don't think there is a too young age. Actually it's a pity that a lot of people just ignore the fact that they're gay or bi because they never question their sexuality and take being straight as the obvious thing to be. And when they are older and realize, they could have saved a lot of trouble if they had just accepted their sexuality earlier.

Maybe if your young, the decisions/ observations about your sexuality are more likely to change. But I don't think they'll damage you at all. You are never too young to question things.

9. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

There's no "too young". If you told that to straight people, they'd flip their lids.

10. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your parents response says more about them than it does about you. It says that they have bought into the idea that it's "just a phase", even though it very rarely is. Unfortunately, this idea is given false credibility because some so called experts have wrote about it or talked about it.

Some parents really struggle with the idea because it forces them to confront their own feelings and perceptions and they may even blame themselves or question their effectiveness as parents. Anger, denial, bargaining are some of the common feelings that parents need to be work through before they arrive at the point of acceptance and we do need to prepare ourselves for that. Very few parents will react to a son or daughters coming out with pleasure and complete acceptance - it takes time for that to happen.

Your mom's fiance is wrong in saying that it ruins lives, but maybe he doesn't know any better. The thing that really ruins lives is outright rejection and hostility.

11. eth

eth

Your Parents seem quite old fashioned and a little bit homophobic, there is definitely not a set age and above that you are able to decide you sexuality at. The way know your sexuality is when it comes to you and then you know, no matter how old you are you know Trust me!

Always follow your dream no matter what it costs.

12. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    You be you, Crystina! 'Cause girl you're amazing just the way you are. (*hug*) <3

13. Foz

Foz Guest

I'm not a great fan of people using that explanation, kids that age just don't know their sexuality, they just don't understand the dynamics of relationships. The reason young boys like young girls is because we are a heteronormative society, it is the norm.