1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

she is straight but has feelings for me, would it be unwise to get involved?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by koalabear, Jul 26, 2015.

1. koalabear

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Okay, I have massively strong feelings for a girl i met about 4 months ago. We clicked automatically, but we have only hung out 2 times and havent seen each other in 3 months because of summer break, just staying in contact over text and phone. Anyways, i told her i was bi about a month ago, and then I told her I had feelings for her about 2 weeks after i told her i was bi. When I told her I was bi, she said she was bi, but only because she had feelings for this one girl a few years ago, but otherwise, she is quite attracted to men (but she hasnt had strong feelings for a guy since, well, a long time ago)(and it took her a few texts after me telling her i was bi before she said she thinks she is bi, but thinks she may just be straight). Then, after I told her i had feelings for her, she said she had feelings for me too. After some more discussion, she clarified and said that she thinks she has feelings for me, but that this is all very new for her, and that she would have to see me to really know if they are real. She said that when she first saw me, she knew she wanted me to be in her life, and she really wanted to be my friend, (and she even said my butt is nice :eusa_danc (which actually really confused her because im a girl, and she's attracted to men)) but that having feelings for girls is extremely new for her. She also said she really loves talking and hanging out with me, and that it wasnt until i told her i have feelings for her that she automatically questioned what her feelings are for me.

After a lot of thought, i texted her and told her i was a bit worried about getting involved w/ her because i know my feelings are real, but i worry that when she sees me (since a lot of our interactions have been over text and phone, not in person) she will realize i am indeed a girl and not a guy. I worry that i will get really hurt because my feelings are very strong, but hers are more like "i think they are there, but i cant be for sure until i see you." So really, it's a hit or miss when she comes up to move in for school and we get to see each other. I feel a bit stupid about admitting my worries to her, because our communication has been a bit sparse over the past few days following my admission of my feelings, and im a bit scared that i may have made her uncomfortable. Anyways, i just dont want to be some kind of experiment for her, but i think a risk may be necessary. Has anyone ever been in this kind of situation, or have any advice? thanks!

2. confusedbubble

I was in this situation years ago she was questioning her sexuality we had an instant connection like you have.
    I told her I liked her and she backed off a bit, the questioning is always there I asked her out right if things were to happen could she see herself in a relationship with me. She took some time to answer but when we met up she said yes, I didn't want to be an experiment, but thinking about it years before that I was still questioning when I had my first same sex relationship and I'm thankful that she allowed me to have that because without that I'd still probably be confused

3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm going to preface this story with YMMV. When my girlfriend and I started dating, I was in your friend's position. We were friends online for four years beforehand and for the previous couple of months had been talking every night, for hours. At the time my sexuality boiled down to "straight but open to suggestion." I'd only ever dated men, although I wouldn't call those relationships successful, but I did have one serious crush on a girl in high school. My now-girlfriend confessed her feelings to me and after about a week of awkwardness while I had a sexuality crisis, I admitted that I liked her too and that "I was willing to try." (She told me last week that she thought we'd last two weeks tops before I'd realize this wasn't for me.) Because I was several hours away at college at the time, we didn't get to meet in person until six months in. Our two-year anniversary is in November.

It's entirely possible for people to have a preference for one gender over another, or to be attracted almost exclusively to one with a few exceptions. My advice is to take things slow. Give her a little space, she might just need time to figure things out. If she wants to wait until the two of you are able to see each other again, don't push it.