1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was unsure how to handle friends consern

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by SoshySheri, Jul 27, 2015.

1. SoshySheri

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My friend spends a long time online, especially tumbler and he was talking about the feminists on there and that people who tell him and others that they are feminists pissed him off, I told him it isn't something you need to go to school for or go out into the streets for, it's just the idea that women should to be treated like people. He continued for hours about the things Tumblr "feminists" were doing and why people don't want to be considered feminists anymore, because they don't want to feed a movement they worry will change laws and take away freedoms by pushing to change the definition of consent, like having to ask to kiss someone on a date, or they could go to jail, he told me that the numbers of women assaulted sexually were fudged in someway, and than I told him I was raped and that a huge majority of women I know have been raped or molested at some point in their lives. Anyway after that conversation that was uncomfortable as hell he told me he was worried about me when I was at pride that people take advantage of the movement and that their are predtiers at those sort of events. And I told him he worries too much, and he was like your right. But I don't know I feel like I wanted to tell him I was raped since he was minimizing the issue and now I'm afraid he sees me as helpless by his comments about his fear for my safety. I hate the idea of people judging me but I am open with who I am and what I have been through I hate when people tell me stuff like that dosent happen here and how lucky we are to live in canada so I tell them I have had to fear for my safety for being a lesbian aND for being a women, but then I feel like people look at me differently, still I feel like I need to comeout talk about things because how else will people learn to stop saying that dosent happen here, this isn't an issue anymore. Anyway I don't know what advice you guys can give me, I told my friend what I needed to say and I don't regret it, I just need talk I guess