1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boys trying to hit on my girlfriend? :/

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by honeybunny87, Jul 28, 2015.

1. honeybunny87

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My girlfriend and I are both very feminine so guess guys find it surprising that we are together but its starting to get on my nerves as I always find straight guys trying to hit on her and ask her out to the prom and such and if she politely explains that we are in a relationship they never take it seriously :/ we really love each other and I find it quite hurtful for guys to think that she's available, am I over thinking or is there something I can do about it ? Thanks

Edit:I'm not sure if this is under the right category, does anyone know how I can move it?

#1 honeybunny87, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Typical straight male behavior, sadly. Not much we can do to change it. Guys are always going to think that lesbians and bisexuals don't "really" exist and we only like women to turn guys on but not as a serious thing. Wish I could slap them for you.

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I don't think you can move it. But to mods: The thread belongs under Family, Friends, and Relationships, I think.

It sucks that boys try to ask your girlfriend out.
    Do you usually display affection publicly? I'm not saying you should if you aren't... just that people might back away more then.
    Also, are you openly a couple in general?
    You could try to think of some kind of strategy if boys hit on you gf..

Hope that helps.

4. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sadly you can't change them but you can change your point of view on the whole situation. What about trying to see it more as a prove how attractive your girlfriend actually is and feel great about it? You could also buy one of those "taken" rings or bracelets and when someone asks her out or hit on her just be assertive and show if off as a sign she's "yours" and unavailable.

5. thepandaboss

I hear ya. To be honest, I might not be too much help when it comes to what to do. In my relationship, my partner's the one who's usually hit on (by girls and guys, funnily enough).

If guys start to get too pushy with you and your girlfriend, be firm. You're in a relationship. It's one thing to gently or jokingly hit on one half of a relationship (like a lot of people do with my partner and as long as they're not pushy, I don't mind). It's another thing altogether for these boneheads to basically ignore the fact and act like she's still available.

If they ask her to prom or out on a date, she or you can say something along the lines of "Sorry, but I'm going with her". It's important to stand your ground.

6. waternation

waternation Guest

Ugh. Annoying straight boys :bang:

If that was my girlfriend I would be so annoyed!! They won't take you seriously because you are her GIRLfriend, not her BOYfriend, therefore threat is not registered, nor relationship acknowledged (sorry :icon_sad: I am in a crappy mood :rolle:slight_smile:

I can't really think of anything you could do unfortunately if you've already explained your relationship to them. It's on their part to be more respectful and grow up. Even if you get angry, they're probably not likely to listen. I would just try to focus on the relationship so that it didn't at least effect that, and try to ignore it or deal with it separately. Do you have the relationship displayed publicly, like on Facebook or something? Just keep on giving them the hint, they probably won't go away completely but some of them might start to realize or give up and go to another girl. Also, if you and you're girlfriend are/are able to go to prom together maybe you can just keep repeating that to them. I think the idea Paris had about "taken" rings or bracelets might be a good one too?

I'm sorry you have this problem :eusa_doh: I hope they stop or you can find an effective way to stop them being so disrespectful towards you, your girlfriend, and your relationship.

7. honeybunny87

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you so much for the advice,hearing it I don't feel so alone in this now and its nice of you to understand, sometimes it really feels like its a straight mans world :confused:I'll be sure to try some of these :slight_smile:

8. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you've got some good advice already, but I'm going to move this over to the Family, Friends and Relationships sub-forum for you. :slight_smile: