1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there anything wrong with your family finding out your orientation not from you?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by CodeForLife, Jul 28, 2015.

1. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not ready to come out to my family, but at this point, I can't say that I would be too distressed if they learned about it at this point. I wouldn't want to be the person that initiates this conversation right now, but if somehow they found out not from me, is there anything wrong with this? I'm sure they would accept me as who I am.

What do you think?

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: Is there anything wrong with your family finding out your orientation not from yo

There's nothing wrong with that, but it can leave uncertainty, and they may feel awkward bringing up the topic. You might consider what makes you hesitate to tell them if you think they will be accepting. It could be nervousness/anxiety, and usually the best way to deal with that is directly facing the fear. It's not an easy task, but you can start small, like first coming out to friends.

3. mangotree

Re: Is there anything wrong with your family finding out your orientation not from yo

Your preferred method of coming out is your choice.
    If you want it to be by word of mouth, that's cool - as long as the message doesn't get obscured along the way.

4. KaySee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people

I am taking the "one by one" approach. Told 3 of my 4 close family members. 2 were supportive and 1 was neutral (bit of a jerk, but it's his normal personality that I was already aware of).

Pros and cons for everything.

None of them talk about it to each other.

My point is, it will happen, or be hidden forever. Decide exactly how you want things.

#4 KaySee, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015