1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I stop it from getting to me?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by JustinBiscuits, Jul 30, 2015.

1. JustinBiscuits

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Heyyo,

For three months I dated a guy and we broke up almost a week ago. He started off as a mutual friend but when he found out I was gay he started talking to me and all that stuff. I don't think it was even a week before he said he loved me and I had only seen him once for about 3 seconds. I didn't know what to do so I kept going on until I said I loved him too a few days later.

Anyway, we dated for 3 months and we spent a lot of time together until I decided to break up with him almost a week ago. I did it because I was going through personal stuff and a relationship was too hard. I also broke up with him because he talked about growing up together and getting married together and all that stuff which made me a bit uncomfortable at times because I didn't know if that's what I wanted. So I broke up with him. After I did, he sent a text message to my mum saying we'd broken up and that we'd been dating for 3 months. This wasn't too bad because my mum knew I was gay but I didn't want him worrying about me so I told him to stop worrying about me.

A day went by and I was bummed out about the breakup and I started talking to my friend about it. One thing lead to another and they told me that my now ex had said some stuff about me. This is the part which I regret the most. I asked him to show me what he had said about me. The messages were from a group chat where he had told everyone all my insecurities, all my feelings, the message he had sent my mum. That really ticked me off. I started getting mad at him for sharing that stuff in a group chat with people I'm not comfortable with knowing that kind of stuff. I should have just left it at that but I didn't. I kept on going on about how I was upset and that I was furious and all that. I didn't say he was a terrible human or tell him that I hated him. Later that night, his best friend messaged me and told me that she will never forgive me for what I did, that she can't believe that I had the audacity to do such a thing. I didn't reply to her.

Now here I am. I still talk to this guy as friends. I don't have feelings for him but he is fun to talk to. He tells me all about these 3 guys that he's been talking to. And by guys I mean love interests. I can't help but feel jealous. I mean I don't want a boyfriend for a while but it still makes me jealous. How do I not let it get to me? And I still feel horrible from those messages his friend sent me. I try not to care but it just stresses me out. Not only that but I feel horrible for even starting the whole issue. How do I forget it all and move on? I've been thinking I should stop talking to this guy because whenever I do I just get frustrated again. Should I stop talking to him? Should I just ignore it all? I just want to forget the whole issue.

Anyways, thank you for reading this. It has helped to talk about it to someone. (&&&)

2. Priceless

Sounds pretty rough, but you also can't just forget about the entire issue. It'll be there, and you just have to embrace that it happened. It's not your fault at all and your reasons are just, at least in my eyes.

It's somewhat hard to stay friends, at least at first. There's so much history there and now it's gone. I think you'll need to give it a little time to heal, both for you and for him.

No one likes getting dumped and heartbreak can make people do crazy things, you just have to learn how to deal with it. I wish you all the best!

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How old are you two?

It's not okay he revealed private stuff to others, and choosing to text your mom about the breakup is weird. What did he say when you got upset? Did he offer an apology?

Personally, I think he's a little shallow/immature (he probably knows talking about love interests is going to make you jealous). Perhaps now is a good time to take a break from seeing him. You mentioned he was only a mutual friend until learning you were gay, so you should ask yourself if it's really worth it to remain friends. Friendship should include respect, and respect includes keeping secrets when appropriate.