1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight friends.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Abdadhie, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Abdadhie

First up, I need to let you all know that I'm not being "hetrophobic. Also, I've come out as gay to everyone. It's a long story but but anyway...

All of my friends but one are straight and the vast majority of them are male. I don't know why thats happened, my year seems to have only 3 LGBTQI+ people who are out, anyway..

The other day we were all out camping and it really didn't go well. The whole day started with one friend being being called into work so we couldn't actually stat camping until about 4. Once we all met up we found out that the guy organising the whole day hadn't even got a camping spot, he was just going to find one. We messed around for 2 hours until we found something that we could use. By then the light had almost gone and we still had to set up our tent. I was getting pretty annoyed at the fact that no one had planned anything so I said something. The reaction to my complaint was to just to say "Shut up, you're gay". After that anything I said that they didn't actually agree to would just have the same reply. This, as you could imagine was getting pretty annoying.

Anyway, we retired into out tents and the conversation eventually turned to the same thing it always does, girls. They talked about the same kind of bullsh*t for hours. Just talking about the girls they would and wouldn't "bang". It was at this point I realised that I was essentially just hanging around with "f**kboys".

I mean, don't get me wrong, these guys are really nice, just when they get onto the topic of girls they get a bit "carried away". It was at this point that it dawned on me that I wasn't enjoying hanging out with these guys and I didn't enjoy it because they're all straight and cis. I feel so bad for saying this. It's such an awful thing to say but it's not because I don't like straight or cis people, its because I can't connect with them as well as I can with LGBTQI+ people. I feel like I need to be able to hang out with some people who might understand me better. I wouldn't ditch these guys, just not be with them as much, maybe not when their being "sleazes".

All your opinions are welcome, I would love to know if these feelings are normal. I hope saying that I don't like hanging out with them because they're straight doesn't make me a bad person, I feel like at does and I'm sorry ifI've offended anyone. I just really need to vent, it's just been one of those days.:bang:

2. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like your problem isn't so much the fact that they're straight, but that they're immature and their conversation is pretty sleazy. Honestly, some LGBT people can be like that too. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I understand how you feel though - it is horrible to feel completely excluded from conversations like that because you feel like there's absolutely no way you can join in. Remember, if they're your age - they might need some more time to mature. Teenage boys do tend to be pretty fixated on girls, I'm sorry to say.

I think you've probably hit the nail on the head, really - if they're really irritating you, perhaps it's time to take a bit of a break. It's nice to have LGBT friends who understand what you're going through, but remember there are plenty of awesome open-minded straight people who are capable of interesting non-pervy conversations too. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: My straight male friends never say anything that makes me feel uncomfortable. There are cool people out there!

3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the problem is less that they're straight and more that they're asshats. Saying "Shut up, you're gay" in response to anything they don't want to hear is homophobic and a dick move.

Humans naturally gravitate towards people they have things in common with. Other LGBT+ are more likely to be able to relate. All of my "real life" friends are straight, but it's okay because they're all accepting and, while they make mistakes, they're willing to be educated. These guys don't sound like that.