1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intimacy with best friend, who is straight?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by galpal, Aug 3, 2015.

1. galpal

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Okay so my story is complicated to say the least but please, help me out to understand the situation I have caught myself in.. (the story has some intimate details.)

I started university 3 years ago (I've just graduated, currently aged 21...) and I met a girl. Incredibly long story short we became very close friends in a very short amount of time.

We spent a lot of time together... A year went on and I realised I was attracted to her and had feelings for her.. but I didn't tell her... I thought she felt the same because we were laying in bed together a lot, cuddling all the time... that's how the 1st Uni year ended.

2nd year of uni... I found out she was dating some guy.. She never told me and at this point we referred to ourselves as best friends, soul mates... so it was bizarre that she was dating and never told me... This was also when my temper issues started... She went on a couple of dates... and our friendship became fragile because I became bitter towards her over tiny things... because of jealousy I assume.

One night things got a little over whelming and emotional that I decided to tell her how I felt... As I expected, she's not into females and did not see me that way, but like the best friend she was, she kissed my forehead, gave me a hug and left me for the night...

After a while we became normal again and she stopped seeing that guy... turns out he was texting plenty of other chicks and totally forgot about her...

I tried very hard not to be close with her because I know it was getting nowhere... but every night we spent together, which was almost every single night, we would cuddle, kiss cheeks, foreheads, hold hands in bed... we were closer than ever - and intimate.. and thats how 2nd year of uni ended...

3rd Year.. final year.. summer was rough for both of us and we never got to see each other, she lost a family member and i couldn't be there... but soul mates always find each other ... Spending time with her became more of a regular thing...

every night we would chill, eat food, cuddle and watch horrors... hold hands, kiss cheeks etc etc....

one night, i was laid on top of her and she had her legs wrapped around me and i started to kiss her neck... i couldnt stop it... and she didnt stop me either.. so i kept on kissing... found a sweet spot and made her moan every now and then, her thighs would squeeze me, her ahnds would grip my hair.. and at the end of it she was speechless and it was incredible (for the both of us)

this went on for a few months.. neck kissing, her moaning, leg wrapped around me...

then another rough patch which resulted in her reminding me she wasn't into me, arguments that reminded me we would never be together... she ignored me for weeks...

but best friends always find each other again...

again, i tried not to be close.. i tried not to hug her as much.. but something bad was always happening where she needed a friend and that friend was me... and she would hug me, snuggle her face into my neck...

neck kissing was prohibited. but kisses on the cheek turned into kisses on the chin as she kissed my nose at the same time...

cute, right? this became a regular thing.. ever day we tell each other "i love you" ... every day we kiss on the chin/nose... every night we cuddle, spoon, hold hands and often fall asleep together and cuddle in the morning...

but every now and again she talks about guys, forcing to remind myself that she is straight...

coming to the end of 3rd year... we are about to graduate... what's the best way to celebrate? ... travel europe of course!

off we go .. we travel together for a very , very very long time... just me and her and some very beautiful countries...

we get closer, a lot of arguments still but end of the days we come together and say "i love you"

...we looked forward to our private rooms.. spending nights in shared rooms of hostels can be annoying especially when you're so used to hugging someone every night...

private double bed in France... we do the usual hug, cuddle, spoon, kiss...

this time something beautiful happens... she asks me to ask her knees...odd request but i do.

my uncontrollable tendency to take things too far got the better of me and i started to move my kisses up to her thighs...

she didnt stop me... she lay in bliss as my lips move higher and higher up her thigh, rolling her pyjama bottoms further up, revealing more skin for me to kiss... must have been at least 2 inches away from the intimate area before she calmly stopped me..

she was speechless yet again... this tops neck kisses any day..

i asked to her if i could kiss the other knee.. she said "i'm like a water puddle" ... (i assume this means 'you know what') ... but she said yes and i did all over again... i was definitely in a water puddle.. it was bed time.. she got into her single bed, i stayed in the double bed.. stars in my eyes.... best, night, ever.

since we got back from travelling.. theres been a lot of flirting between us... a lot of ass squeezing.. thigh rubbing.. the chin/nose kisses have turned into almost making out (but no lip contact yet, though I yearn for it)... the neck kisses are back and the thigh kissing is a regular...

however shes never let me kiss as high as I did her in France.. she stops me and asks me to kiss elsewhere when i get half way up her thigh...

just the other night we were laying down she was hugging me and had her leg over me.... i had my hand on her thigh rubbing up and down as we are both about to fall asleep...

uncontrollably, i place my hand higher and higher up her leg under her pyjama bottoms... this time they're so high up that my thumb is rubbing where her thigh joins her hip and rubbing onto the mons pubis... she never stopped me.. so i kept at it gently (but inside me things were getting hot) .. i moved my thumb down just a little bit ... stayed around this area for what felt like a life time... she eventually moved and said goodnight after maybe 15 beautiful minutes of this...

so... what on earth does this mean!? i'd say she was curious but she has 'tried' before and it wasnt her thing... we are very close, emotionally then physically... only in the past few months have we been getting very intimate... very romantically intimate...

but.. she still straight? please help me understand what could possibly be on her mind.

2. Posthuman666

Falling for the straight girl is something a lot of people do. Now, her leading you on is definitely curious, and probably frustrating.

She may be bicurious, or experimenting. One of the best things you could do is to ask her maybe. Just maybe bring it up. No one can tell you what her orientation is but her.

3. troubleshooter

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree that you can't know her orientation unless she says it. However, from this story I'm seeing one of two scenarios. One, is that she is gay/bi and struggling with her sexuality and allowing things to escalate with you, but not allowing her to do "real" intimate things like kissing, oral sex, etc. Some people use twisted logic like that to say "Well I didn't do --- so I'm not REALLY gay/bi."

The other situation is one that I really hope isn't true, but very well might. This situation is that she is straight, but she's just using you sexually for her own pleasure, and maybe even gets enjoyment out of teasing you or knowing she's controlling/manipulating you. If this is the case you need to distance yourself from her, or well, not distance, you need to cut her off. It's unacceptable for someone to use you emotionally and sexually, and I'm sure it hurts, and clearly is screwing with your head that you're being treated this way.

You've gone through this crazy issue with this girl long enough. I think you have to have a good long talk with her. This should be a form of a "sh*t or get off the pot" discussion. Flat out say (though in a gentle way) that you've been doing well...GAY things together for years, and even though there's no lip kisses, oral sex, etc. there have been some seriously intimate things going on. Just a quick note here that these are way past normal "Friend" intimacies. I'm gay and I've had female friends of all sexualities who I'm affectionate with, but I would NEVER dream of kissing their necks or letting them kiss mine, and definitely not let any below the belt action go on. Hugs and head/cheek kisses and "I love you" can be platonic, most of that stuff can't! Tell her that you truly love her, you'd be open to something more than a friendship, and you hope she can come to terms with who she is. If that is a woman who is open to other women, maybe you can start a romantic relationship. If that is a straight woman who just enjoys the physical sensation of someone willing to mildly pleasure her at a moment's notice...then this needs to stop. I think you should tell her that it's upsetting to go back and forth all the time, but you're confused and upset. Tell her that you will not engage in any intimacies (even hugs!) with her until she gives you an answer on how she really feels about her. And stick to that agreement! Even if you have to sit on your hands or leave the room! Then, give her time, say a few days. If she's gay/bi and struggling so hard after this long, she probably won't change over night. But maybe a talk like this will be able to get her to admit this way or that. Either way you need to stop allowing yourself to be used.

Hopefully this will work and you'll get to the bottom of this. Best of luck and let us know what happens!

4. galpal

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thank you so much... I was worried that my post was too long that no one would read it but the struggle is very much real..

I hope you're wrong in saying that she uses me for her pleasure - and I find that hard to believe.. we have been through awful situations first which I believe is what made us close so the emotional level of love and trust is very strong.

I have tried to mention it every now and then but it always turns into an argument (when I mentioned she ignored me for weeks and the neck kissing stopped.. that was because I mentioned that it wasnt what normal friends do)

I mentioned our situation not long ago and how she acts differently around me when in public or when there's another person in the room. This started a heated argument but her argument was that "you dont like it when couples show affection in public so why would i"... which is fair enough.

As much as I really want to ask or bring it up... every single time I've tried it results in very heart breaking arguments and we both end up getting hurt then things are awkward for days... I feel like if I mention it again that's it.. The ignoring will turn from weeks to months to forgetting we were ever this close...

Another thing that is holding me back from saying anything or asking is that now we have graduated.. we are moving back to our home town and we don't exactly live close.. we also now have to pursue our lives and we both know we will end up in different places... we wont talk as much, we wont see each other every day like we have done for the past 2/3 years... it will be like a break up that none of us wanted.

So I'm thinking.. I wait til we have to leave (literally only a few more days with her before we go our separate ways) and let the distance and time do the healing for the both of us... That way I can fall out of love and learn to love her only platonically and she can figure herself out ... because I think youre right, normal friends dont do what we do... I would love to be in a relationship with her, I know I shouldn't but almost every day I imagine scenarios as a couple doing normal couple things...

5. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Omg so cute!!! Awww! So heartbreaking/confusing too though! I really empathise with what you're going through right now! Unfortunately I don't have much to say here besides letting you know I read your whole post :slight_smile:

I hope you two figure things out! This is the sweetest thing I've read in a while! Aw! xx

6. galpal

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Haha :grin: well thank you for taking the time to read it is much appreciated. I have to admit we are pretty cute together, we would make an incredible couple... I just feel like she's not quite figured herself out yet and I'm afraid that when she eventually does, I wont be a part of it..

7. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally think she is using you. She may well be bi (even though she may just be straight) but I think she is miles away from the stage of realizing it and accepting it.

Your story actually reminds me of the beginning of my sexuality. I had this friend whom I was pretty close to and would often sleepover at my place and we would share a bed and she would always kiss me in the neck etc... and I would let her do as yes, it was pleasurable. The human body is full of nerves that happen to react to stimulation but at the end of the day I wasn't into her ( we did go further though but same thing, I still wasn't into her but I did get pleasure out it though) and I actually was convinced that I was straight which obviously wasn't the case as I am bi but it took me a good 5 years to realize it. So there is a chance that she may end up being bi but I do believe it will take a few years for her to come to term with it.

I really hope I am wrong but I doubt it, surely had she wanted to go farther she would have and I believe that trying to 'force it on her' ( by slightly trying to go further and further) can't end well. What if you do happen to have sex but she then realize that she really isn't into girls and feel awkward around you and stop communicating ? is it worth risking your friendship ?

I have a tendency to fall for girls that clearly aren't straight ( the kind that send heaps of vibes, flirt and sometime even make a move) but won't admit it to themselves. It's tiring and often end up in heartbreak. Plus if you stop altogether the whole kissing and being intimate thing you'll be able to see whether or not she crave for it and initiate it next, would be an easy way to see if she actually wants it or just go along with it. cheers x :slight_smile:

8. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Well.. Time will tell. I know the feeling of wanting that person right at this moment but it's not a good idea to push things.. Though if it's not communicated about then how are you two going to manage? Who knows maybe one day she will suddenly run to you and kiss the life out of you.. Would you prefer to still be friends with her if she ends up not wanting it or will you hurt too much for that?

9. galpal

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello. Thank you for taking the time to read and give feedback I really appreciate it.

I had mixed emotions during your reply, mostly dread in that you may be right in some aspects... but I know her very well and I highly doubt she is using me because of all the things we have been through together, she trusts me as I trust her.

In terms of 'forcing it on her' ... Those are my ways of seeing whether she is interested or not.. there are times she discreetly finds ways to tell me to stop or do something else or change the subject.. then I know shes not interested... but she will pursue me..

You said to see if she initiates it etc... She does on a very regularly basis... Just a few hours ago she ran into my room (we are currently housemates) and gave me really big passionate kisses all over my face because "I was sat in my room and thought, you what, I'm gunna go kiss her" ... then she proceeded to kiss my belly and rub it putting her hands on my frontal waist, very very low but not too low , but its still in an intimate place.

Do you see the confusion I am dealing with?

But we are both so comfortable with one another and it just feels so right that I guess we never question it, we just get on with it because it makes us happy... But I have to question it because I'm .. in love with her.

---------- Post added 4th Aug 2015 at 08:48 AM ----------

It's funny you said "one day she will suddenly run to you and kiss the life out of you"

...she literally did just that a few hours ago..

but all over my face besides the lips. It was very random... no call or text just ran into my room with a beautiful beaming smile and kissed me... Read my other reply to see what else she did xD

***SORRY; I have no idea how to do Forum posts, I apologise if you get confused by my replies.. that last paragraph was for the lady with the pink text.

#9 galpal, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  10. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't worry I had no problem with your reply. :slight_smile:

By using you I actually meant what you just describing which is messing with you (and your head) which is unfortunately what she, so far, has been doing. I personally find it very upsetting when someone knows that someone else have feelings for them that they supposedly don't reciprocate but go on with the mixed signals and in your case whole touchy-feely intimacy thing.

I do sympathise though as I very recently had a crush on a friend like that who, sent me all the signals to the point that she did come running to me and made out with me after I told her that she confused me as I couldn't figure out what she wanted from me and then proceeded to act like she was drunk (which she was) and had no memories of the night she had spent making out with me (made out sessions that she ALL initiated). It does suck. So I totally know the state of confusion/frustration you must be in.

You should have a chat with her though. Tell her that your feelings haven't changed and that she is confusing the hell out of you by all her small gestures. Tell her that it's fine if she is straight but that she should understand that it's hard for you not to get your hopes up when she remains so intimate with you. You have the right to move on with your life. You've been stuck on that girl for the past 3 years, 3 years that you could have spent with someone that did love you so it's fine if she isn't into you but not if she keeps 'leading you' on by her mix signals. Just saying this for your sake. We only have a life and it's too short to lose years running after the wrong person. Good luck though and hope you get some answers. :slight_smile:

11. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with the others, she's probably using you. I read a similar thread like this. Straight guy was using gay guy because he had money. So, if she's using you, end it. If not, enjoy, I guess.

12. idsm

I'm probably more naive than not and cannot always understand humanity, but I would think that it's just denial. (Still a very arduous situation to be in.. :icon_sad:slight_smile:

Perhaps this is somewhat childish, but I would probably play the jealousy card. Start going out and having somewhat less time for her. Talk her about this cute girl you met the other day. You know, see how she'll react. If she becomes irritated or possessive, explain to her that since she has no feelings for you, you need to find yourself someone who does.

In any case, you sure need to address the whole thing. Don't worry about the outcome. Loosing her completely is still better than being stuck in this situation.

Keep us posted (*hug*)

13. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Well oh my god! This is so damn cute I'm sorry I just can't.. The cuteness.. Gawd help me! That is so sweet! I can't say I'm not slightly jealous of what you have with this girl. It's still a confusing situation though I understand that! I am Lesbian right and I am pretty close with a guy friend but as soon as he tries stuff with me I tell him to stop. He knows I'm a lesbian (he's even seen me basically puke when talking about heterosexuality) so for her to do this to you is very confusing for sure! I hope things work out okay though.. Good luck x

14. troubleshooter

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The more you've said makes me think she's in the closet. If she's initiating so much, and purposely avoiding mouth kisses and er, some direct below the belt action makes me think that she's trying to justify it to herself that you're still just "friends" and she doesn't want to jump into bed with you.

That being said, you still need that "sh*t or get off the pot" conversation. Pick a day and tell her. Maybe even compose a letter, that way we can even see what you say! =P But I think you need to have this talk with her, and push her into a decision. Give her time like I said, but there is a chance you might not be able to talk to her. Your friendship sounds like it's becoming toxic, and no one should be used sexually like you've been.

15. galpal

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The more I read about what other people have to say... the more it breaks my heart because I know you are all right in saying that I should confront her about it but I can not bare the thought of getting into an argument about it again and risk losing a beautiful and strong bond that we built.

As I type this message tears are running down my face in realisation that no matter what I say or do, or how she feels about me - even if she see's me romantically - we can never be together because I know that she would feel ashamed and scared of being further disowned by her already hateful mother. Even if she was in love with me (which is what I have felt from her over the past few months especially) I know that deep deep down in my gut we couldn't pursue it because that would put our entire friendship on the line...

What if one day it was no longer working out and we were too romantically involved to be "just friends" again? I can't bare the thought of her ever feeling alone because she lost me as a friend... She tells me on a regular basis that I am all that she has... I think she's right.. She doesn't have many friends, if any (I dont know why not, she's got a beautiful soul) ... and she's not exactly close with any family member. So I am her family..

And it would be incredibly selfish of me to take the one true family that she has just because of my feelings for her...

This is heartbreaking to come to terms with... As much as I want the confusion to end and to really really know what is going on inside her head when we kiss and touch... I never want to jeopardise our friendship...

I hate myself for ever letting it get this far... I should've distanced myself when I first confessed my feelings. But she's my better half, the happiness I felt with her is addicting.

She is officially moving away on Friday. Then it will officially be a long distance friendship.

Thank you to all to have replied to make me realise a few things and even though I know I should listen and act upon what you have all said.. I am not going to confront her about it... I love her far too much to ever put her in that spot.

I know that she loves me indefinitely and that I will always have her by my side... and maybe one day, no matter how long it takes, I will accept that and being her best friend will be more than enough.

I think I am going to focus on the last two days we have together and make the most of it. Saying goodbye to her will be the hardest thing about all of this...

Thank you all again...

#15 galpal, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  16. troubleshooter

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    -hugs- this situation sounds a lot more painful than I originally thought. While I can respect your choice to not want to stir things up, I just want to suggest trying confronting her, not just for you, but for her. The picture yore painting now looks a lot more like a young woman who is suffering with her sexuality, mother issues and it seems, creating relationships with others. It's not ok or healthy to be someone's sole lifeline, even f you love them enough to do so. (Trust me I'm talking from experience). If she's struggling and hurting so much, and that worried about her mom disowning her she's probably better off without her mom anyway. Sexuality aside, many times family members can be toxic and are best cut off. I think you should write her a letter, and give it to her when she leaves. This way she can hear all you have to say without arguments. Tell her how much you love her, how much she means to you, and how much you know she loves you. And over and over its ok, it's ok, it's ok to be who she is and how she feels. Make the words feel as much of a strong, comforting embrace as possible. Tell her that you are hers if she wants you, even if that takes a little time. Let her know you understand her fears, that she has a beautiful soul like you said, and she shouldn't feel she has to hide, even if her mother is cruel to her. Maybe even suggest she come to this site or another for support. And you can say if she doesn't want, you'll try to be a platonic friend too, but you're going to move on with your life romantically and otherwise as well. I'm actually taking from someone else who suggested to make her a bit jealous. The horror of realizing someone you love might be with someone else soon and not yours can sometimes be a jolt people need to admit things. But I think it's important that you DO actually move on if she doesn't confess her feelings. Feel free to PM me if you want. This sounds like a really difficult ordeal.

#16 troubleshooter, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  17. idsm

troubleshooter,

You only recently signed up and just have a handful of posts yet, but each and every one of them is sensible, helpful, caring and gentle.
    Welcome to EC. It's good to have you around. :slight_smile:

galpal,

Please do what she says. I think it's for the best.

18. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I actually disagree with the idea of a letter that would say the words suggested here as it's basically taking for granted that she is bisexual or at least not entirely straight.
    This girl hasn't come out yet (if she in fact isn't straight) and I do not believe that it is OP's role or position to tell her what she is.
    Actually if I was straight and received a letter like that from one of my friend ( to whom I would have emphasized on the fact that I was straight and not into her) I would be a little freaked out and probably would have one of those ' WTF ?' moment. Imagine she is indeed straight and receive a letter that says '' Hey, I know you are gay/bi/into women and it's okay, don't be afraid of getting out of the closet or of what your mother could think of it, you'll be fine as long as we are together. " Which, less romantically written, is basically what this letter would be saying and I cannot see how this wouldn't make things awkward between OP and her friend ?

She shouldn't assume that she is anything but what she said she was, in this case straight as she would probably come across as 'pushy' otherwise. I sure would find someone that would give me a whole speech about how I am a lesbian and it's okay and that I don't have to hide behind the 'bi' word and should come out after I made it clear to her that I liked both, pushy and probably 'inconsiderate' and probably would back away from her instead of the opposite. Not saying that's what your friend would do but there is other way to get someone to come out of the closet without telling them that ' you know they are gay'. The letter is a great idea but I would only put my feelings in there.

Tell her what she means to me and why it's difficult for me to be in a situation where I am physically close to her (in an intimate way) while I know she doesn't reciprocate my feelings ( in this case even if I believe she does) and that while I understand that she may not feel the same way about women or me in general and want to remain friends I would have to put an end to the intimacy we have to spare my feelings and to start moving on and meet other girls that would reciprocate my feelings. (which should make her jealous if she is into you ) and then I would repeat that I love her and want to keep our friendship but wanted her to know where I stood on the whole thing.

Obviously it's your choice and you know her better than we do but I wanted to give my insight as everybody would react differently to different things, wordings. :slight_smile:

Good luck whatever you chose and hope you get the girl ! :wink:

19. troubleshooter

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks @idsm :slight_smile:

@Linning I would agree that it would be wrong to say "it's ok to be gay" in a letter to this girl. I'm not looking for her to "Tell her who she is". But I phrased it as telling her "it's ok to be who you are, whoever that is", which is not explicitly saying what her sexuality is. But you're also acting as though the OP is talking about a friend who really does seem straight. I'm sorry but a young woman who repeatedly seeks out another woman for well, sexual activities, albeit mild ones, does not sound straight. The fact she struggles so much in many ways also sounds like she is having some issues with her sexuality. It's not like this is coming out of left field. I'm quite sure she's aware of what sort of relationship and things she's done with her friend, and it's clear to anyone with a working brain that these are gay things. I don't know how the OP would be considered "pushy" when this girl already pounces on her to kiss her face, lets her stick her hand in her pants, and regularly gives requests for neck kisses.

20. galpal

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Its our last full day.. For the past few days we have been arguing over tiny things every day , mainly because of the frustration I feel and I'm taking it out on her...

But I did it.. I confronted her, by text as we have just had an argument... And I said "I cant go seperate ways without knowing what goes on inside your head when we are together" and this way her reply..

"I feel safe and happy I never notice till after how close we get. Somtimes I try to tone it down but I get caught up in the moment. I love you because I feel safe. I have no romantic or sexual feelings for you. for the longest time I wished I did I wanted it to be truw. But it wasnt it felt false I love you but I cant ever see you as more than my closest friend I am really sorry, im sorry I confuse you so much ilthw actions I do are me being completey comfortable with you im sorry I know its not normal but I alwways assumed we didnt care for lables and boundries"

So now I know... That's it.