1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents Not Asking Any Questions...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Posthuman666, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Posthuman666

Ever since I came out as trans, my parents haven't asked a single question. Not about what it means to be trans, not about my plans for the future, not about my sexuality, which I already came out about, nothing. My mom says she doesn't know what to ask.

Being trans is something a lot of people have a lot of questions about. But my parents aren't asking any. I asked for permission to shave my legs and stuff, and to get feminine soap, both of which were granted. They say that they have done some research, and I don't doubt them. But it kinda hurts. They say they love and support me, and I don't doubt them either, but whenever I bring it up the don't really respond, or change the subject.

Are they still in some kind of shock? I don't know. I understand its a lot to take in, but how can you take in the information if you don't have any? I don't know, maybe I'm overreacting.

2. KayJay

There may likely be shock, especially if you came out recently. My dad asked a few questions and also made some sad comments the night I came out. For a while after it wasn't the easiest subject for him to think about or discuss. I think it is likely a bit normal, depending on their personalities. Sometimes avoiding the situation while you're trying to absorb it helps people, which may be what your parents are doing.

Just remember you've been thinking about this for a long time but they have only recently had to think about this and what it means for you and also for them. Perhaps you could send them in the direction of local PFLAG which may help them feel a bit more comfortable talking to people who have gone through the same or similar with their child(ren). After my dad and step mother went to a group for parents of LGBT kids they really went on a fast track to acceptance and eventually being quite supportive. That may be a good way for them to learn while talking to people in a similar situation.

3. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe you should take a positive view on this and assume that their research has answered their questions. I'd say you have it pretty well... Considering your parents love / support you and don't make negative rude remarks.

4. Leifa

I think this would be a decent way to think...I got the "Are you sure you aren't just gay?" crap so.... woulda rather had nothing than that.