1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to College and Dating Someone in Highschool

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Gavis, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Gavis

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I'll be attending college as a Freshman later this month. So let me just say, I'm still pretty much in the closet. The person I'd want to date(who I like you could say), know I'm gay, and so do some others. My crush is going to be a senior, so we only have 1 year age difference. I want to confess my feelings to him before I go to college because I want to see how he feels(he told me he liked me over a year ago. I liked him back, but we agreed we best wait until I came out to actually date).

Anyway, I'm not sure if he still likes me, but the only way I suppose to find out is to tell him how I still feel. If he likes me still, maybe we could start dating. I'll only be going to college an hour and a half away. So I would be able to come home on weekends and that to visit him. We're pretty good friends now, so I think we'd be able to make it work.

I'm just not sure if its a good idea. I'm sure we could make it work. But I'm just slightly scared to be rejected now that we decided to wait in the first place. Has anyone ever dated someone still in high school while they went to college? How did it turn out? I've never dated someone for real before. He'd be my first. I just want to know can people make college/high school romances work?

2. Lyana

Hey Gavis,
    If the only thing holding you back is fear of rejection, then you have to tell him how you feel. The fear is normal and happens to everyone, but you have to take a step back and look at the situation rationally: if he says no, then you will survive. You'll be going to college, which will be like a new start for you. You won't have to deal with seeing him every day or even every weekend. You'll make new friends and be busy with classes. Yes, it will hurt, but you will get over it.

But if you don't ask? You'll drive yourself mad wondering about what could have been. Especially if this is someone you've been into for more than a year.

In reality, many couples break up just before one of them goes to college, instead of getting together. Something about wanting to live college to the fullest. Or sometimes it's the distance that's the dealbreaker. If you can come home every weekend, then it's not going to be that much of a struggle. But realistically, he'll be busy sometimes, you'll be busy sometimes or too tired to make the drive, you might not be able to make your schedules line up, you'll have other priorities (if he's worried about getting good marks for college, if you're worried about your own classes...).

It can work if you're both on the same page. If you both want it to work. But to know that, you have to ask him. So go ahead.