1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brother...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by GrimacingCynic, Aug 7, 2015.

1. GrimacingCynic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello. I've never asked for advice online before but I guess this
    Is a good enough reason.

My older brother and I are very close. I am younger by a year and have shared a room
    since before we could speak and still do even now that he's about to go off to college.
    Sure we have our little stupid quarrels, but in the end we love each other. I've always
    looked up to him as he's always been the smarter of the two of us and things seemed
    to come easier to him.

Despite how proud I am of him I can't help but feel guilty. I came out to my older sister
    a year ago and I'm already out to my closest friends but for some reason I never felt safe
    enough to tell him. When he still went to my school before the summer ended I was scared
    he would find out. I want to tell him before he heads off to college but I'm really
    scared of losing my big brother.

What should I do?

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Has he ever said or done anything that would make you think he is homophobic and would reject you? If someone has issues with the LGBT community they are usually quick to make comments when something comes on television. For example, did he express any kind of negative comments about the same sex marriage ruling in your country?

If you are not sure how he feels could you say something to test his reaction, without coming out to him? Maybe aks him what he thinks about gay couples being able to get married. If he responds well you should be safe telling him.

3. wardrobeescaper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe you feel you have more to loose by coming out to him. That's what I realised and my poor bro was the last to know. Just do it, he might be shocked but he won't reject you unless you can gage otherwise.

4. Van

Van

I don't see why you wouldn't tell him if you two are this close. :rolle:

5. Mags the Goron

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Assuming that he's an ally, I would say go for it! Of course, if you don't feel ready, then I'd put it off for a while. Sometimes we know that nothing could possibly go wrong with coming out to someone close to us, but we still don't feel ready. But that's fine! It's totally normal. :slight_smile:

6. Ardi

Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel like if you guys are as close as you say you are, then there should be no problem with you coming out to him. ^^

My only concern would be if he has said anything that would lead you to think that he is homophobic. If not, then I really think you are in the clear and you should go for it! c: But of course, only if you think you are ready to.

#6 Ardi, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  7. GrimacingCynic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you. I'm so happy I decided to join this community.
    :slight_smile: