1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boyfriend and I broke up after he became very distant.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by YadUSA, Aug 10, 2015.

1. YadUSA

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My boyfriend and I broke up, and I'm really hurt. We had been dating since November and he officially became my boyfriend in february. He's 25, I'm 21. He was really caring, loving, and supportive, he was there with me when I lost my dad in november from a heart attack and he never left my side, and stayed with me through that hell when we barely knew each other for like two weeks. He's semi-closeted so that made things a little complicated for us, but I supported him because I knew how hard it was to keep your life from your family and fearing rejection. So, he met my family, and I made him official in my life, but he couldn't do the same, but I understood and didn't have that over him, I'm not selfish and I didn't want to make his life a living hell, so I respected his decision to keep our relationship private from his family. Months passed, we would go on dates a lot, I was studying and had a job with low hours (which I quit a few months later) and he had two jobs, but still managed to have time for me.

We would text all day, he was always in contact with me, he would call me and we would talk for hours, everything felt amazing, we even went on a vacation together during spring break, and at that point I felt like I couldn't be any happier. So May came along, I managed to get a job interview with walmart, and was hired, he was supportive and motivated me to find a better job, and I did. Things were still going great. We did have a few arguments here and then but it wasn't anything serious. Sometimes we would go out with his friends to hang out and my mind would betray me, I would start feeling a little sad, because I felt that I wasn't ready to be in a place with loud music, I would start thinking about my dad and all the changes I've going through in the past few months. So this happened like two times, and he told me that he didn't want me to feel so sad, that he wanted me to make an effort to focus on the positive things in life and to focus less on the negative things. I would have expected him to be a little more understanding, since it hasn't even been a year since I had lost my dad and I would often feel vulnerable.

So June came and this is where things started to change. I was working all the time and we would not see each other as often. He was working a lot too, but I knew this was going to happen so I didn't worry that much at first. But one day, it just wasn't the same.. he would no longer text me like he used too, I was always the one trying to communicate with him, and I stopped seeing an effort. He no longer had to urge to see me, to call me, to text me, I would often ask him out in our days off and he always told me that he was feeling too tired to go out with me, however, some days I would be working, he was out of his job early, and he would go out with his friends. So that made me feel really bad, I started to see a pattern in his behaviour. So since we were barely talking to each other, and he didn't seem to care if we talked or not, I confronted him when we went out on a date on the last days of june, I asked him what was going on, that I no longer felt that he was interested in me, I asked him if I had done anything wrong, and he told me that he didn't want to talk about it at that moment. He hung out with his buddies when I was with him that day and I felt completely ignored by him, I felt his indifferent treatment, and later that night, when I confronted him again, he said that he was getting used to the relationship, that he felt that we were different. I felt crushed, went home and I cried a lot, I didn't understand what made him feel that way now, it just all felt like cheap excuses.

So during July, he was hot and cold, he kept me in a loop, he would go out with me but I no longer felt like his boyfriend, he was treating like a friend. He longer hugged me, kissed, and he just stopped trying, his words didn't get along with his actions. He said he loved me and that he wanted to be with me, but he was treating me like he didn't care. I felt emotiobally exhausted and I was miserable that whole month. I expected him to change since the argument, but he didn't, he became even more distant and a week ago, I finally decided that I had enough, and I couldn't keep up with this. I broke up with him and told him how I felt, he didn't even try to stop me from breaking up with him, he accepted my decision and he just.. didn't try to fix things. I feel heart broken, I don't know what went wrong, I was giving too much, caring too much, but he apparently wasn't no longer feeling the same way. He tried to contact me few days later after we broke up telling me that he hoped that I was okay, that I was important to him, that he felt weird and he was always going to be there for me if I needed him. What is wrong with him?.. I know this is long, but I just don't understand how someone can go from being such a lovely, caring person, to being that cold.

I know this was really long, but I have a lot to get off my chest. He was my first boyfriend and my first real relationship.

#1 YadUSA, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  2. Lyana

Oh, YadUSA, I'm sorry. Breaking up when you still have feelings for someone is hard, but you did the right thing for yourself when you ended things. The relationship wasn't making you happy anymore, and it sounds like your ex wasn't putting much effort into it. You deserve better.
    I don't know why he behaved like that -- only he knows. But it happens. Relationships don't always work out, but they almost always teach you something.

You sound like you need a period to mourn for this relationship, which is normal. But do tell yourself that you did the right thing.

3. Closet Shut

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You mentioned that he was semi-closeted, do you think that might also have something to do with it? maybe he wasn't completely used to being in a relationship, or even being gay.. I dunno, that's just my guess; & I wonder if it also had to do with the part, where you mentioned he wanted you to be positive, while you were grieving; maybe that also could've started something, I've never been in a relationship, but I do agree with you on people not being responsive, & having to put in the effort. You shouldn't have to do all the work, whether it be a friendship or a relationship,the other person should be reciprocating just as much as you are. & If not they should have the decency to be honest, & tell you what's going on, but how I look at it.. is maybe he wanted to end it earlier, but maybe didn't want to be the one to say it, or probably felt bad about he himself being the one to end things, some people don't like the idea of being the ones to hurt someone, either way.. I think it's better that you ended it, it's not good to be living that way, & being in the dark about how someone truly feels about you, I don't know much about love or anything.. but I think you'll better without all the stress of it, but I really hope you feel better soon, hopefully you'll find someone who feels the same way you do, & appreciates your company no matter how they're feeling, if that makes sense.

4. MissxVenom1991

I am very sorry for what happened and hope you'll be alright. It happens to the best of us to go from loving and warm to distant and cold, some faster than others and will be tough for sure but time will heal. Most (well-meaning) people may say "don't take it too personally" or "try and be happy" but give yourself time to grieve, to heal, to be sad because you can't be happy if you can't be sad. I'm not saying you should be completely miserable but to let out the sadness so that you can have confidence in yourself. Your prince is out there waiting for you still, I know it.

#4 MissxVenom1991, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  5. Sek

Sek

I want to start by saying that while this is a sad decision it's a good one. You should be proud of yourself for having the courage to cut yourself loose, keep that in mind during this mourning phase.

As for why he became distant is hard to say for definite, but I think the chemistry of your relationship was one that would inevitably lead to a downfall. Relationships that get intense quickly usually fall apart just as quickly. Within weeks of your relationship starting he was already staying by your side comforting you during a grieving period that remained throughout your relationship. It's hard for a person to maintain that level of a relationship with someone because it becomes draining and when things decline as they typically do due to a passing of the honeymoon phase, a lot of questions about the relationship are called into mind in an attempt to explain why it feels different. This puts the relationship under a microscope and a threat of one or both people retreating as this intense phase passes.

Unfortunately the relationship wasn't ready to survive so things became how they have. But you shouldn't hold regret or contempt for him or the bond you shared because it's going to teach you lessons that will prepare you for (and help keep alive) a relationship with a more suitable fit. Try to see the bigger picture and think about what this means for the next chapter of your life.

All the best, good luck in the future. (*hug*)

6. YadUSA

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I thank each one of you for taking the time to reply to my post. I know I took the right decision, I wasn't feeling happy and I felt like I was begging for attention and love, which made things even worse. I've felt better in the past few days, I no longer have that feeling in my chest of being constantly disappointed. I do still have feelings for him, and it's going to take some time to feel alright. I don't want to know what he's up to, 'cause it feels weird to think that he's already moving on when it has barely been a week. I don't know if this makes any sense but I would like to think that he's actually feeling the same bittersweet feeling that the breakup left me with, but I guess it's pointless to think about that right now. Things will get better, I just have to be patient and try to distract myself.